The Secrets of Grand Central Station

Grand Central Station holds a significant place in my heart. Not because I’m a daily commuter that takes the trains from Grand Central Station, but because it was the first place I visited as a tourist of this great City. Upon our arrival to New York from Texas, many friends and family wanted to show us the wonders of New York City. As a 10-year-old, the one thing I remember from those trips to the City were not the bright lights or even the tall skyscrapers, it was the Whispering Wall from Grand Central Station. The idea that someone 20 feet away from me could hear me talking was something that not only perplexed me, but it made my young self believe that anything was possible in my new hometown called New York City.

Although Ron, Sarin and I visited the Grand Central Market, the Biltmore Room, the Ramps, the Golden Clock, Ticket Booths, and other sites on the audio tour, the Whispering Wall ironically spoke the loudest to us. Upon getting the map of Grand Central Station, I immediately knew where I wanted to go first so I could show Ron and Sarin the moment where my mind was blown. I wanted to be the one that showed them this hidden treasure of New York City because then they would always remember our trip to Grand Central Station together and recall it to the Whispering Wall, just as I had done when I heard we were visiting Grand Central Station.

Story:

In the fall of 2008, the Baruch Foreign Exchange Program began inviting young High School student to come enjoy a semester in New York. Andrew was 14-year-old foreign exchange student from Australia eager to learn about the wonders of New York City. Upon his arrival, his host family was eager to show him the best spots of New York City. The Smith family wanted to make sure Andrew felt comfortable in his new environment so they did everything in their power to make him feel at home.

When Mrs. Smith asked Andrew what he wanted to see in New York City, he asked to be surprised. Anything would make him happy but something not many other tourists experienced was what Andrew really wanted. He wanted the experience that would give him the ability to brag to his other Australian friends who were dying to go to New York City.

To grant his requests, the Smith family took him to the heart of New York City. They showed him the best spots in the City, from Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Times Square, the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty and even Gantry State Plaza to see the skyline of the City in its best view.

Andrew had taken a million and one pictures and was satisfied with his trip to New York City. He had visited all the popular spots in the City, something he always dreamed of. The one thing that was missing was the surprise factor from the trip. In every location he visited, he was blown away by the lights and tall buildings, but had expected all of it because he had seen it on every tourist site.

After 2 months, Andrew finally got his surprise moment as he was leaving New York City. In Grand Central Station, he was waiting for the train that would take him to JFK Airport. While waiting, he saw a class of students on the bottom of the ramps making a considerable amount of noise. Curious to see what he was missing out on, he decided to go take a look. Upon investigating the students as to what they were doing, he understood why they were so surprised and excited. He decided to give the Whispering Wall a try. To his surprise, he could hear the voice of a student across the platform. Not sure how this was possible, Andrew smiled to himself and realized that as he was leaving New York City, the City itself surprised him more than anyone else ever could. This was an experience not even the Smith’s knew, this was his little secret with New York City in the confines of Grand Central Station.

– Abishek Johnson

1. Your movie synopsis is that of an award-nominated love piece, you may want to consider a change in your major after that one! Apart from the wonderful story, I enjoyed how you said that a very familiar place still holds much in the way of learning. This is true of places as rich and complex as Grand Central and your description is one I found a pleasure to read.

2. I love your personal connection to Grand Central Station. I’m a little bit jealous- I’ve always wanted to have an “outsider’s perspective” on Grand Central Station; that feeling of seeing something one may take for granted in a whole new light. Although I’ve always heard of the “Secret Whispering Wall” of Grand Central, this was my first time actually trying it out for myself so perhaps I had a few moments of this perspective, myself! I like the story you wrote (at first I wasn’t sure how you were going to end it), but it was a super sweet story!

3. Your felt so personal and real yet rather creative and imaginative. After reading about your personal experience as a ten year old and the experience of Andrew in your story, I think that I want to go back and visit the Whispering Wall on my own. I wonder how many secrets an stories I could actually hear if I were to listen. I liked how your story ended with Andrew’s self discovery in NYC. There’s something amazing about being able to find intimacy amidst such a public ad frantic zone.
    Well done!

4. I really like how you included a past experience and tied it to the present to illustrate a certain timelessness of Grand Central Station. Your story did a great job of describing a sort of “magic” that hides throughout the station and the little secrets that make it so unique and special. Your experience really shines through and creates a great story. Great work!

5. Wow!!! the amount that you covered here was amazing. I felt like I was with you in the story. You made it personal which I really enjoyed and was also descriptive such as the gold clock and even a 10-year-old mentioned in your blog. I loved how you reached further of the effect of GCS and didn’t necessarily focus on one part. Rather, you made the whole system on trains and places in New York intertwined through GCS. Great Job and hope to read much more:)