An Unplanned Adventure

One thing I find interesting about Grad Central Station is the name itself. Grand Central Terminal just seems so fitting. The term “Grand” connotes luxury and brilliance. When I walked into the bustling terminal, I was overwhelmed with by its elegance. The fact that a train station could maintain a glamourous and elegant aura amidst a frenzy rather amazed me.

I began to transport myself back to a time when the railroad industry was the capital of transportation. Cornelius Vanderbilt practically transformed transportation. I thought of him specifically as I walked around the station because his story was rather familiar to me.  I have visited the Vanderbilt mansion in Newport twice. When I walked through Vanderbilt Hall, I imagined a NYC social light departing from her Park Avenue apartment towards the station for   a weekend at the Vanderbilt Mansion.

Miss Gloria Vanderbilt had been inviting Miss Elizabeth Parker to her home in Newport since the beginning of the summer season. However, between all the yachting excursions in the Hamptons, luncheons at the Plaza and the horse races in Belmont, Miss Parker was unsure if she would have the time to journey all the way to Rhode Island. But of course, who could turn down an invite from Miss Vanderbilt herself!? Miss Vanderbilt assured her that her journey would be rather smooth and quick on the new railroad line, located in the heart of the East side.

On a hot Thursday afternoon in July, Miss Parker departed for Grand Central Station. There had been much commotion in the press about the new station. Miss Parker was slightly curious about what this new station looked like, after all, this station was a ten-year production.   The moment she walked in, she was awestricken. She looked up at the ceiling and was amused by the art above her. She began to consider how clever it was that art had been incorporated in this public space.  She was not at the Vatican, nor was she at the MET, but she still felt as if she was in a museum. She gazed at the enormous glass windows and appreciated how these large structures flung open to offer a breeze on such a stuffy day. The press had been raving about the station for a reason, everything was so magnificent!

Miss Parker’s eyes darted straight towards the grand clock in the center of the station. “Oh dear, oh no, it cannot be!”, she thought to herself. Miss Parker began to panic in disbelief. “It’s half past two and I was supposed to depart a half hour ago!”

A gentleman in a long black coat was hurried by her. “Excuse me Sir, but do you have them time? It seems to be that this clock is rather quick.”

“Nope Mam’, this clock is actually the most accurate time you’ll ever come by. Must be that your watch is rather quick.”

Miss Parker scrutinized the ticket board and realized that she indeed had missed her train. The next departure was at 4:40pm. She looked back at the central clock to see how much time she would have to wait.  Miss Parker noted the small acorn on top. The iconic Vanderbilt acorn began to have her thinking of how embarrassing it would be to arrive late to the Vanderbilt’s home.

However, Miss Parker decided to make the best out of the situation. With over an hour of time until the next departure, Miss Parker decided she would explore the station. After all, she was utterly amazed and curious about what laid behind each turn. She knew that this station was more than just train platform, leeway time to explore was rather exciting.

Miss Parker hurried across the station as she jotted down what astonished her. She went from the Biltmore room and up the stairwells, peeking at all the passersby along their way. It was true that she would be shamefully tardy to the Vanderbilt Mansion. However, Miss Parker eagerly awaited sitting down to tea with Miss Vanderbilt as she would tell her about her Grand exploration in the heart of New York City.  

1. I raelly liked the conversational aspect of your story! Looks like you put effort into the plot and developed the characters pretty well. I also like how you referenced the origin of the rail industry when thinking about the significance of GCT. Great work!

2. I enjoyed how your story gave all the descriptions within without having to make a separate part for description without a narrative. The story itself was highly enjoyable and you were able to the rare duo of tension and joy. I look forward to reading more!

3. I absolutely loved your story! I was so drawn into what was happening, and I was rooting for Parker the whole time. It’s nice to imagine someone experiencing Grand Central for the first time ever, and I think your story truly captured that sense of discovery. I feel as thought people of that time period really got to experience the station, meanwhile our generation already experiences Grand Central either at a young age where we cannot truly experience it, or through tv and movies where we already have a sense of how the station is laid out and functions, which takes away from our imagination. Overall, I really loved the story and your blog, great job!