BA 9

Ariel Margolin

Blog Assignment #9

Calling Grand Central inspirational is the understatement of the decade; it is perhaps the most noteworthy place to the creative soul as this is the main entry point into the city, a place where new, bright-eyed hopefuls enter, and where weary, down-beaten wayfarers wave their hats goodbye. In my tour, I found quite a few spots where I could see a story-point being developed, places that would complement the story’s narrative beautifully and bring the idea being delivered to new heights.

This balconied walkway instantly struck me as the quintessential place of character self-reflection. When I saw it, the first image to go through my head was of a male character with his elbows resting on the side, looking of pensively.

This quaint nook within Grand Central I could see being a place where two characters are discussing something rather important.

This ramp to me is a lesser-known space of Grand Central where the last scene is played out as the character walks off into the decision he has made. The feeling of it being the end of something or a segway into another place would serve to add to the drama.

The story I came up with would be of a short film. This film’s story line would be of a 30-something man who has decided to rekindle the relationship with his estranged father after an out-of-the-blue phone call. As the protagonist arrives to Grand Central to take the train out of the city, he is engulfed in indecision. The balcony would be the place where his predicament sets in and he has a good thinking regarding it, and the cameras would follow his thoughts regarding the rocky relationship he left behind all those years ago. He would decide against going and turns back, but before leaving he has a drink at the bar. In the Grand Central bar, he sees a father and son having a good time and reverses his choice, deciding to see his father. The credits would roll as he turns his back and walks down the ramp signaling his decision.

1 comment

1. I enjoyed you story because it relates to the relationships that take place in Grand Central. Grand Central is known for the love and reconnection that takes place within it. Your story is unique as it involves a father and son, not a lover to lover. I also liked the significance of the ramp. It is not just something to walk in, but it portrays a journey from start to end, and this journey involves many decisions. Great work Ariel!