The Magic of Grand Central Station

The familiarity one might have with a particular corner of New York City may be precisely what gives it the incomparable air of magic that tourists may not be able to fully recreate. While at Washington Square Park the other day, I encountered a movie set where something was being filmed with the park as its setting. There were actors playing homeless people sleeping on the benches. This was funny to me given that no actor could ever say the things that some of the homeless people of NYC say, and some of them were likely even kicked off of that particular bench for the scene to be filmed. Because of circumstances such as these, the true essence of New York can hardly be imitated or even observed from a distanced, outsider perspective.

Grand Central Station is one of the most iconic places in NYC. Filled with both locals getting off the MTA and people from both the further corners of the US and even abroad, it is a bustling metropolis. One overarching unifying factor seems to be that everybody is in a rush to get somewhere. The travelers, understandably so, but even the tourists seem to be more focuses on having their picture taken than looking up at the “night sky.” Many people seemed to congregate by the clock, including our group. This gave the clock a historical feel, as it had been a meeting spot for people for decades, as pointed out in the audio tour. This is why I chose it as the primary setting for my “story.” The premise of it would be either a young couple or set of friends separated by financial or familiar circumstance at a young age. One would stay in NYC while the other would be forced to move elsewhere for a given amount of time. They would vow to wait for one another at the clock at 6pm until they finally reconnected. The individual living in New York would wait at the clock every day until he or she starting giving up hope after years. The other, upon returning, would visit the flower shop in one of the far corners of the station and buy a bouquet before they would reconnect. In my imagination, this entire cliche story is accompanied by the cliche jazz that was played in the audio tour.

Veronica Funk