Urban Change (New York City): Exemplified through 20th century and 21st century movies

Today, I went with my Macaulay class to the New York Historical Society where I looked at photographs, architectural designs and books that allowed me to visualize the ways that New York City has changed over time. I saw through photographs what the old Penn Station used to look like before being destroyed in order to make a new building. I saw through architectural designs how the New York City wanted to build another bridge into the city but couldn’t because they didn’t have enough money due to the great depression. Lastly, I saw through books that a group of New Yorkers wanted to fill the Hudson River, but was outvoted. These changes or would have been changes led me to research how much New York City has changed over the years.

I thought about how these sources are only a few of many sources one can use to track historical changes in urban structures and social relations in New York City. A source I found extremely fascinating was the different types of movies set in New York City that were filmed in the late 20th century versus early 21st century. This source led me to the conclusion of the change of focus in movies set in New York City from the 20th century to the 21st century is a microcosm to the larger, economic, demographic, social and cultural shifts in New York City.

In the late 20th century, movies staged in New Yok City framed the city as a place of danger, crime and corruption. Movies, such as Al Pachino Serpico (1973), Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) and Fort Apache (1981), are staged to represent a different type of New York City then it is now. Al Pachino Serpico, based on a true story, is about an idealistic New York City police officer who refuses to take bribes, unlike the rest of the cops. Hence the word idealistic because New York City was a corrupt place. The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974) is a movie about a New York City criminal gang that hijacks a subway and threatens to shoot innocent civilians in exchange for a ransom. Fascinatingly, behind the scenes, The Metropolitan Transportation Authority was unwilling to cooperate with the making of this movie as they feared a real hijacking could actually occur due to the high criminal rate in New York City. To further this point, The Metropolitan Transportation Authority only allowed the filmmakers to make this movie once the filmmakers paid them for hijack insurance as well as a payment of $250,000 for usage of the subway. Lastly, Fort Apache (1981) is about a cop who struggles to keep a sense of moral decency despite his colleagues’ crueler methods in a notoriously dangerous area of the Bronx and New York City.

Early 21st century movies such as The Black Swan (2010), Whiplash (2014) and Trainwreck (2015), have a much different focus of New York City than the late 20th century movies did. The Black Swan (2010) is a movie about a ballet dancer that seeks a friend/rival in the midst of a competitive lead role for a production. The movie captures the New York City’s beautiful buildings and areas such as the Lincoln Center and Broadway, the heart of the performance arts. Whiplash (2014) is about a young and ambitious jazz drummer and aspires to be the best drummer in his prestigious music group. This movie, like the Black Swan (2010), captures the fierce competitiveness and extreme talent in New York City, not the violence.  It frames New York City, as a place where numerous musicians and bands come to achieve their dream and launch their careers. Lastly, Trainwreck (2015) is an excellent depiction of New York City’s dating scene being difficult to navigate. Unlike Whiplash and Black Swan, Trainwreck pokes fun at personal dating issues within the City. These extreme contrasts of focus in the movies from the 20th century to the 21st century, of corruption and crime issues to issues among competitive art performances and a difficult love life, exemplify the significant urban change of New York City.

Andrew Langer

21st Century Movies                                              20th Century Movies

Black Swan (2010)

Fort Apache (1981)

Trainwreck (2015)

Al Pachino Serpico (1973),

Whiplash (2014)

Taking of Pelham 123 (1974)

1. I love your depth of each decade of change throughout society. The movies were a great way to portray this because each one was significant in its own way. Blackswan and Whiplash for example are culturally different movies with not only different plots and themes but also technology which is how I view change over time especially because technology brings a clearer picture

2. Your comparison between the different focuses of danger to art/beauty was quite intriguing! I agree that the city’s infrastructure is highlighted a lot more in contemporary film and photography versus back then where they focused more on the street life and the danger surrounding it. I believe that our generation really focuses on visual aesthetics thus these then incorporate itself into contemporary art such as film. Great work!

3. karinakarazhbey

Andrew, I really enjoyed the way you compared the noticeable significant changes of movies filmed in New York City throughout the last several years. There has definitely been a gradual shift from gang violence movie to a more urban growth idea that is now featured in most modern movies taking place in New York City. A movie like Black Swan, as you mentioned, has me thinking of how the different demographic and social issues now shape the way scripts for these movies are made. Great blog!