Art in the Open

The Exodus

The “Exodus” at Essex Street is an amazing Ad Platform because it depicts parallels between the people walking down the street and the people depicted in the ad. Both are weighed down by the burdens of life and on a constant journey to get somewhere in life. Whether socially or in their workplace, many people in New York City are constantly trying to get somewhere in life. The rush of New York City can be depicted by the Exodus art because the people in the image are constantly evolving and moving ahead in life.

Unisphere: Circle Fence

Flushing Meadows Corona Park is one of my favorite places in New York because of the memories I have created there. Whether it was running through the fountain with my cousins from Texas, riding my bike from Long Island all the way to the Unisphere with my best friend, or even playing football at the park nearby with friends, this area of New York has always provided me great memories. While visiting once again, I immediately saw the impact the Unisphere had on other people as well. The Circle Fence provided an area to relax and enjoy the “world” with their loved ones. This open art helped to strengthen the power of the Unisphere itself.

Arch

Although the steel cage seemed like an obstruction to the Arch at first, I quickly realized the deeper meaning of the open art as I saw the figure that was cutout of it. The cutout of the two figures below the already historical arch helped to create an inception of thought and unity. Visitors were able to engage the steel cage cutout by manipulating the frames and perspectives they took their photos. It continues to draw visitors and other members of the community through its eye appeal and deeper meaning.

If I were to create a public art project that engaged the New York City Community I would begin by creating guidelines for the optimal results. Reach the greatest number of people through placing art in high traffic areas, do not dislocate current artwork pieces (only add to the message or overall theme of the initial art), and use one artwork created by a normal everyday member of the City. The theme from my curatorial project will enable my artwork to reach all demographics of people in New York City. The class structure theme from my Curatorial Project will help to capture artwork in different locations of the City that enable the widest influence and impact on the people of New York. Art in the different classes will not be filtered based on any financial restrictions, to be fair to all people, the public art will not have price tags depending on its location. I would also include structural art, ad platforms and street art to help capture the true art of New York City. This not only enables the art forms to be widespread, but to reach a number of different viewers as well. Overall, my public art project would be an extension of my Curatorial Project by basing art in different classes that spoke to each region and caused a controversy that sparked a healthy debate and discussion among its inhabitants.

– Abishek Johnson