Across the Atlantic and back in time…

The Vatican: Religion is Power

(Religion is a touchy topic, so if you’re sensative, you may want to either skip certain parts of this, take it with a grain of salt, or just flat out not read it.  Anyone who dares to critize my opinons in an unintelligent manner will regret it.  Certainty, confusion, annoyance, analysis, intimidation– They are all a part of the discussion here, not just faith.  I simply ask you to respect that fact.  *End of disclaimer*)

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” – Seneca.

The Roman Cathoilc Church and I, what a strange relationship we have.  So many times have I tried to express my opinion about the religion I was raised with, and never once has it come out clear.  Its a beautiful religion, and yet its a horrid one.  I accept and embrace the fact that it exists, but I personally think its a load of garbage.  I think its incredibly useful on some levels, and a waste of time for the majority involved on others.  The institution that is the Vatican and the Papacy is a blessing, and yet, it is also a curse.  And while it has does nothing in more recent times (you know, except failing to handle those scandals sufficiently (Good job Benny 16…)), it has a past that I cannot forgive.  It is the reason that I don’t understand how history majors can be relgious. 

This doesn’t cover it at all, but I’m trying.

As we walked toward the Vatican, my head was actually rather clear (I don’t really think about any of this unless I’m discussing religion).  We waited on the line for the Cathedral, in our modest dress where (nothing above the knee and shoulders covered), and we went in.  We saw two main things before trudging through the heat to the Vatican Museum (location of the Sistene Chapel).

The first of these were the halls where previous Popes were buried.  The coffins, made of stone, and extremely decorated, were lined up for all to see, as we passed them one by one.  For someone like me, its hard not to think of the gluttony and greed of the church back in the day. (64 course meals, indulgences because you spend so much money beautifying your home that you run the church’s bank account into the red, prada shoes (oh wait that’s not back in the day that’s good-old-benny), all the things necessary in the life of a priest, who definitely should be spending money like there’s no tomorrow… no helping the poor or anything (no, I’m not bitter at all). This isn’t to say that they don’t do ANYTHING good, but let’s be real…)

However, then we come across a road block of people.  Immediatley, I knew what it was, and when I came to the source, I was proven correct.  The tomb of Pope John Paul II, Giovanni Paolo II, JP2, whatever you’d like to call him; the road block was for people praying. It was nice to see his little plot, for it was modest.  Just a slab of marble with an engraving saying who was underneath it.  Modest, but pretty.

The other thing we saw was much more… awesome?  Its the only word I can think of to describe it.  If there is proof of the awesome power of any god, (part of the reason they made it so crazy), it is the Cathedral itself.  If there is one thing I cannot describe properly of the things I’ve seen thus far, this is it.  Its so big! ……..

I’m pausing right now, attempting to think of something to write, and I just can’t do it.  The architecture is beautiful.  The paintings were amazing.  The ceiling was beautiful, and if you looked to long you might get dizzy (there were things in circles), and, as per usual, the statues were my favorite (statues are just awesome!).  But this does not describe it.  To understand, you must go yourself.  I forgot my camera, but it almost doesn’t matter, because like everything else, pictures can’t capture it (though I will get pictures from my friends so its not like I’ll have nothing).

There was one room in particular in there that I remember (not that I don’t remember the rest).  It was a small chapel, with thick curtains in the doorway.  They were to block sound, because it was for praying only.  The three of us, went inside, to see what it looked like.  Why not?

We got inside, and I ended up sitting by myself, because of how the seats were taken up.  I sat, and did my usual “kneel, make sign of the cross, and at least look like I’m praying,” ritual.  But it is amazing what power shiny and beautiful things have.  It wasn’t so much the beauty of the church, but the intimidation that came of it.  I consider myself agnostic, I don’t know who or what is right.  But walking into that church made me sort of feel like I was being yelled at, or at least, that’s the only way I can think to describe it.  All of these powerful looking paintings, ceilings, status, floors, walls– the very aura of the place breathed power.  Next thing you know, I’m having an argument with God about God-knows-what (yea, he OR SHE knows exactly what I’m talking about)… this is when someone lets me think for too long I suppose.  But, it is obvious that this place can have strange effects on a person.

The release that a church offers to us, even if it is in anger and confusion, and even if it from a hellish oliogarchy, is very interesting indeed…

Religion, is interesting.  Faith.  Power.  What starts where?  Is it good, or bad?  Who is truly in control.  Religion is most definitely interesting…

Peace, love, and holy wafers (not that I got one.  I have once again missed Mass).

-E.M.M

(P.S.:  I have been to the Sistene Chapel.  As per usual, I, for some reason, am not liking Michaelangelo’s work as much as I think I’m supposed to.  The map room the was a little before it rocked my socks though 🙂 )

1 Comment so far

1.   LisaMarie Maher on July 6th, 2010          

I thoroughly enjoyed this post and hope any religious experience did not affect your enjoyment of the Holland/Uruguay game.