Across the Atlantic and back in time…

Reflections on Sorrento, Ostia, and the Bourghese.

Well this should have been typed up at LEAST a few days ago… oops!

So, Sorrento, home of the ferry to Capri, Limoncello, and of what maybe looks like a bigger tourist trap then Rome.

Main things for that week:  Capri, Pompeii, and Herculanium (did I spell that right?).

First, short words about Capri:  beautiful, but too touristy.  I liked the Sicilian beaches better regardless, but the tourists and results of tourists made it 10 times worse.  Not that it wasn’t beautiful, and not that I wouldn’t want my experience, but if it weren’t for the totally unlegitimate private boat tour, it would not have been worth it (I swear that isn’t as sketchy as it sounds… it was fun!).

More important things now:  Pompeii!  Due to Vesuvius vomiting up a rather large amount of lava and ash, Pompeii had the pleasure of its inhabitants either

A) Take refuge far from the city.

B) Die there.

Fun right?  For them, not so much. But it is for classical studies students who want to see what a sizable Roman City looked like!  I could say that it looked amazing-amazing-amazing, but that’s really it.  You have to see it for yourselves.  It was incredible to see the city layout though, SO much better then Rome (honestly, the people who built Rome were the WORST city planners who’s work I’ve ever had to experience. ITS CALLED A GRID!).  The frescos were beautiful! (I think in my future home, SOME part of it will be a Pompeiian red).  Also, for the record, the beds in the brothel were most uncomfortable.  How the harlots worked I have NO idea.  Kudos to you ladies.

Herculaneum was MUCH smaller, and for richer people and their summer homes (imagine the Hamptons).  What is interesting about this place is, unlike Pompeii and its ash, Herculaneum was buried by MUD.  This allowed for much more to be preserved.  There was even WOOD preserved– Something I have not seen in any other site thus far.  There were almost no frescos, but the buildings, for the most part, were they most intact buildings I’ve seen yet!  It was very interesting!

After getting back to Rome, we went to Ostia, and had the privilege of seeing a dig and mosaic restoration in action, due to Hunter’s very own Professor Spurza.  It was nice to see the layout of this once port city (better then Rome’s terrible layout).  Also, Ostia is a town that isn’t preserved by destruction, but by its own simple dying out and people abandoning it.  Therefore, we see the growth and decline of the city through its architecture.  I have to say, the Mosaics there (which is one of the things its famous for) are astounding.  Definitely my favorite part.

Also, non-ancient related (sort of), yesterday, we went to the Bourghese gallery.  This place, was one of the most amazing places I’ve ever seen!  I’ve heard that, but I always thought “Well I guess possibly.  We’ll see.”  I’ve never seen something so beautiful that it almost brought me to tears, and anyone who knows me knows I don’t cry at anything.  Way to go with Apollo and Daphne Bernini. Way. To. Go.

I leave now, to go finish buying soccer jerseys for friends, figure out how to get my souvenirs through customs (not familiar with the process), get ready for the last dinner of Italia, and to enjoy this last, and hopefully wonderful night.

Peace, love, and Dy-no-mite, (don’t ask),

E.M.M.