Things I Still Don’t Understand About The French

So, after a very long hiatus, I am back in the states. *Insert endless tears*
This post was in production many months ago so consider it thoughts I had mostly while still abroad. A few more wrap-up updates to come so stay tuned!

1. Tiny Coffee
So the French are big on espresso, which is fine. Great actually! Sometimes all one really needs is a bit of caffeine to feel revived. But paying 2 euros (close to three USD) for this shot of ground and brewed beans seems a bit excessive.

Although it can be très glamourous~

Although it can be très glamourous~

2. Laundry Prices/Procedures
The first time I did laundry, I tried to cram my first month or so of nomad garb into two French sized (read: tiny) washing machines. The washing process and once-reloaded drying procedure cost a hefty 12 euros (close to 15 USD!). Needless to say, I now do most of my laundering in my shower. Which is actually quite fun and festive, although slightly more time consuming.

*Deck the halls with boughs of laundry, fa la la la la la la la UGH.*

3. The Whole Grown Men/People in General Riding Scooters Thing
I really want to get into this one, I do. It seems like a pretty fast mode of transportation, looks like a considerable amount of fun, and is energy efficient and cheap. It just looks so RIDICULOUS. Sorry Parisian dudes, I’m putting this in the “not chic” category.

Had to use a stock photo on this one.  There's no way I'd be caught dead photographing this embarrassing practice!

Had to use a stock photo on this one. There’s no way I’d be caught dead photographing this embarrassing practice!

4. Graph Paper as Notebook Paper
Anyone who has ever looked for a notebook in France will likely be disappointed if they are actually looking to write notes in a legible factor. This is because notebook paper here is essentially graph paper.

Someone's Arabic writing on French style paper...as if it wasn't hard enough to read!

Someone’s Arabic writing on French style paper…as if it wasn’t hard enough to read!

5. Phone Covers That Make Fancy Phones Look Like Flip Phones
Admittedly, I seem to be the only one bothered or perplexed by this. Nonetheless, many Parisians use phone covers (not cases…covers) which hang down in a manner that makes them appear to be using a ginormous flip phone circa 1998. Perhaps it’s simply a defense against the frequent pickpockets on the metro as this shield is often used with iPhones and the like by otherwise chic Parisians. Hardly discussed, I think this one will always be a mystery to me…

Could not find any stock photography even remotely close, so here is a picture of how the trend looks to me

6. Non-Stop Smoking
I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably continue talking about it for years after I return from France-people smoke anywhere, anytime, and without apology. No attention or care is giving to the huge letters on packs of cigarattes, oh so humbly suggesting that “Smoking Kills!” If you so much as refuse a cigarette you will scoffed at. It’s weird.

You know you live in France when your apartment owner must post a sign to remind people not to smoke in the building

7. Pink Toilet Paper
Every store I’ve been in that carries run of the mill toilet paper also has pink toilet paper. It’s magical. I wouldn’t say it’s all I buy but it’s certainly a tough offer to refuse! It almost feels like I’m hurting it’s feelings if I don’t get it, but I guess that’s a whole other blog post…

They're also multipurpose-make for great Valentine's Day decorations!

They’re also multipurpose-make for great Valentine’s Day decorations!

8. Water Preferences
In the home I used to babysit, I was instructed to give the kids whatever kind of water they wanted. (Who knew there was more than one kind?!) And yes, the four and five year old French children had their “mineral water” versus “sparkling water” days. In almost every grocery store visit, I would have at least one person ahead of me buying water (which could also be due to insanely long lines, mais bon). Due to the fact that Parisian water is perfectly safe to drink, buying it just seemed unnecessary in an already expensive city.

A French person's dream-visualized

A French person’s dream-visualized

9. Grading
Not only is the French grading system itself a bit bizarre (Grades are out of 20, but every French person will tell you that 20s are reserved for God Himself) but their way of posting grades is a bit archaic. Its not uncommon for professors to announce grades to the entire class, along with criticism tailored to each student. I remember one prof scolding one of my classmates for her poor grade despite the fact that she had been sick for almost three weeks (with a doctors note) and therefore had learned none of the material.

Also where a 10/20 is still a B...

Also where a 10/20 is still a B…

10. Year-Round Hot Chocolate
Okay, this has to be one of the most wonderful oddities to exist in French culture. I feel like in America, hot chocolate is reserved for as a treat for kids who have been playing in the snow for hours or for a cozy visit to Grandma’s house. These experiences are nice, but the French drink the stuff year round. I’ve seen grown men order up a chocolat chaud mid-day just as casually as one might order a pick me up cup of coffee. And the French don’t mess around-hot chocolate isn’t made from powder here-they make some of the richest, thickest versions of the drink I’ve ever tasted. Délicieux! America, let’s make it happen!

Angelina's hot chocolate-nectar of the gods!

Angelina’s hot chocolate-nectar of the gods!

This post probably seems negative overall but no offense is intended. Despite these strange differences, I love the French all the same (some of them anyway 😉 )

One Response