American Comforts

Prepare yourself for the sentence that follows. Ready? Okay here we go:

As much as I love Paris, sometimes I miss things from America. There, I said it. I don’t miss the low minimum wage, fast food obsession, or general apathy but there are some things that Paris is definitely missing out on and most (read: all) of them are food.

Thankfully, there are many American-inspired stores, restaurants, and bars that help with curing the taste bud homesickness. Here are a few I’ve encountered.

The best by far would have to be the American diner, appropriately named “Breakfast in America.” There are two locations, but the one I’ve been to is in the 5th arrondissement, a brief walk from Jussieu.

Our American impatience showed as we waited in line...

Our American impatience showed as we waited in line…

I had hoped that my American passport would help us get in faster.  I was wrong...

I had hoped that my American passport would help us get in faster. I was wrong…

After a forty minute wait or so of us being dramatic and essentially assuming our role as entitled Americans, we were ushered in for brunch in our home country!

It was the first "Open" sign we had seen in a long time.  Very comforting.

It was the first “Open” sign we had seen in a long time. Very comforting.

I got chocolate chip pancakes...yum! :D

I got chocolate chip pancakes…yum! 😀

My friends got burgers! (Veggie & Regular)

We loved it!

We loved it!

Next, Thanksgiving preparation led us to an American foods store of the same name!

A glimpse at the fine goods imported from America

A bit overpriced, I'd still say it was 4 euros well spent!

A bit overpriced, I’d still say it was 4 euros well spent!

Also purchased from Thanksgiving was a box of Jiffy corn bread mix which, unbeknownst to me at the time, contains lard. (Thanks America!)

Finally, I have come to love the equally overpriced but wonderful bagel shop in my neighborhood, creatively named, “Bagel Shop.” (I know, the French really have a way with words.)

The types of bagels are named after states! (Thanks to my roommestie Katie for the pic :D)

In short, I have been very lucky to have found the important American staples I was missing out on: pancakes, macaroni and cheese, and bagels. Still to be found are black beans…stay tuned as the search continues…

2 Responses