Joenard's Duke-EWH Summer Institute

Hospital Assignment

La Iglesia parroquial Santiago, de Jinotepe

Engineering World Health finally sent me an email about the hospital I will be assigned to do work in for the entire month of July. It is called the Hospital Regional Santiago Jinotepe in Jinotepe, which is a municipality in (and capital of) the department of Carazo.

More about Jinotepe, Nicaragua according to nicaliving.com,

Jinotepe, a town of roughly 32,000, is located in the middle of the mountain ridge that reaches El Crucero and 2,500 feet above sea level. This town enjoys an almost year round breeze of 10 to 25 mph, and the higher elevation (almost 2,000 feet) affords Jinotepe some of the coolest temperatures in the state.

UNAN is located here, as a branch of the National college in Managua. It’s fairly common to find English speakers milling around town. Jinotepe has lots of parks and green spaces great for an afternoon of people watching. The main park is just west of the market and is usually bustling. During the patron saint festivities at the end of July, it’s chaotic.

Jinotepe’s market is about six blocks in size, and is good for everyday shopping. Clothes are ridiculously cheap and there’s a big selection of fruits and veggies (even red onions, cojombro and big, juicy tomatoes). For touristy items, there’s a small yellow market just half a block south of the Pali food store, at the southwest corner of the market. There you will find a half dozen stores with Tshirts, dresses, wooden figurines, and miscellaneous knickknacks. The first store on the left has tourist information and a small selection of maps/brochures.

http://www.nicaliving.com/node/5748

So excited!

I’ve looked up EWH’s previous work at this hospital and I’ve found a project description and a photo:

FIELDWORK PROJECT DETAILS

Engineering World Health in Jinotepe, Nicaragua
Past Students: 
Summer ’08:
Yoder, Jordan
Background 

As a part of the Engineering World Health Summer Institute, Jordan worked in a public hospital in Jinotepe, Nicaragua as a biomedical engineer. The goal of the project was to both fix the out of service medical equipment and to create sustainable engineering solutions to technological inequities in the region. In the process, it was also hoped that the technological needs of this hospital and others like it could be both identified and addressed.

http://globalhealth.duke.edu/dghi-fieldwork/past-projects_details?pid=95&s=50&p=11&t=&loc=&rfm=

Daniel in the workshop at Hospital Santiago in Jinotepe, Nicaragua (July 22, 2008; with kind permission of EWH)

Not really descriptive, but I guess I will find more soon since I only have 30 more days until I will be training in Costa Rica and in the thick of things!

EWH Summer Institute Central America Day-by-Day 2012

EWH gave me this schedule of the entire program a while ago, but they have been switching a few things around. So, I was hesitant to put it up. Nevertheless here’s the most updated version:

ARRIVAL AND ORIENTATION

May 29, 2012 All students arrive in Costa Rica by 8 PM.

May 30, 2012

9:30 Placement exams for Spanish

10:00 – 11:00 Orientation to EWH

11:00 – 12:00 Orientation to San Jose and Costa Rica

12:00 – 1:00 Lunch break

1:00 – 2:00 Introduction to Medical Equipment

2:00 – 5:00 Troubleshoot/Repair Medical Equipment Laboratory

June 2, 2012

Students attend Social Event

TRAINING

May 30 – June 26, 2012 (Monday through Thursday)

8:15 – 12:00 Spanish Lessons

12:00 – 1:00 Lunch break

Fridays during June

Hospital workdays near San Jose

HOSPITAL WORK

June 26, 2012

Transport to airport; fly from Costa Rica to Nicaragua with site coordinator

June 27 – July 27, 2012

8 PM – 5 PM Work at hospitals.

END OF PROGRAM CONFERENCE

Saturday July 28 – Sunday July 29, 2012

EWH End of Program Conference in Managua

Sunday July 29, 2012

EWH End of Program Conference ends; transport to airport for departure.

That’s all I have to say for now. Stay tuned for more updates since the date for my actual trip is coming nearer and nearer every day!

-Joenard