Dancing Scholars!

I put together a highlight reel from the class’s recent dance experience.

1. Raymon Ang’s avatar

Dance is a very unique art because it combines rhythm, motion, athletics, and some, if not most of the time, music. However, this form of art is not for me. The most dancing I’ve ever done before this event was the YMCA and the chicken dance that was ‘mandatory’ in elementary school. I’m not saying that i dislike dancing; I actually had fun during the event, mostly from watching other people. It is just that I don’t have the ability or the courage to go up in front of people who are staring at the motions of my body. I enjoy watching other people dance but when i have to, there is no way that I’d feel comfortable doing so.

2. nazana2013’s avatar

Martha Graham describes dancing as “the hidden language of the soul.” This lesson took us to our respective utopias by allowing us to freely move our body to our soul’s directions. In life, we are often required to live by someone else’s directions, whether it is being pestered to show our IDs while entering the NAC or working at an unfulfilling job. When we give our body what our soul needs, we become liberated, breaking the psychological fetters of society and showcasing our inner beauty. I left this class feeling happy, rejuvenated, and empowered. I think most of the class left feeling the same way. Thank you Ms. Kaminsky for showing us how to speak.

3. Erhan Posluk’s avatar

I think we made Sheila proud that day, as I’ve never seen such chaotic and unorganized dancing that was so fun. The dancing was by no means professional (at least my dancing wasn’t) but it didn’t take away from the experience. Everyone was able to enjoy themselves and it’s the grace and happiness in this video that makes it truly beautiful. After watching this video and several others from our final projects, I have to say our classmates have some major dance moves!

4. Zach Seymour’s avatar

I must say, this was one of my favorite classes and will be an excellent memory for me. I’m taking the DVD home to give to my mother, as well, because I’m certain she will marvel at the excellent film-making.

I enjoyed the opportunity to dance and meet Miss Kaminsky.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Brief and almost uplifting.

2. Andrew Salimian’s avatar

I believe I was the only one who went to a Macaulay Tech Fair and had to watch this video as an example of eportfolios in a screening room filled with people I didn’t know. Thankfully, in the minute of the video they showed I was not dancing, in fact it was Katie and Nazana’s group. The worst part was having to raise my hand and explain what the hell we were doing when one of the tech fellows was asking what this was.

This class was fun. i actually think I would have preferred to do ballet or tango or something. I had trouble commiting myself to perform an action when I thought it would look so silly.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Silliness has its own charm.

2. Eman Elzeftawy’s avatar

Doing this was really fun and I think it was a great way to start the semester off; get everyone connected in a way. Sheila Kaminsky is a very energetic woman and I admire her for her spirit and dedication to dance.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Ms. Kaminsky will no doubt be pleased with your evaluation.

2. Joenard Camarista’s avatar

Looking back, I feel like I have a new perspective on music as well as dance after this experience. Aside the particular sound of a particular song, I also pay attention to how my body reacts or my emotional response to a particular song. I interpret modern dance as the instinctual/emotional response to music or a mood. Modern dance also seems to be the ideal interpretation of music. Whereas I can give a rather cursory reaction to a particular song by just talking about it, I would have great difficulty trying to portray it in modern dance as you can see in the video. But then again, I did a good attempt as did everyone else.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Thousands of emotions well up inside me through out the day. They are released when I dance.” *Abraham Lincony*

2. Lana Guardo’s avatar

This highlight reel is fantastic! I just re-watched it and smiled the whole way through. I especially enjoyed the third group to go–the all male group–their dance moves really captured each of their personalities. Each group really allowed themselves to get a bit crazy and go outside of their comfort zones. This lesson taught us about modern dance, the flow of music and choreography, and working as a team, but it was also a character building exercise. People who were never exposed to dance before got a chance to express themselves in a way they never tried. It was a liberating experience and reliving it through the video was great fun. Thanks!:)
            –Lana

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Your welcome. May the rest of your life flow as well.

2. Mohammed Alvi’s avatar

I think more than anything this was an enlightening experience. Often times we find the gracefulness and elegance of the dancers so overwhelming we forget that a tremendous level of skill and endurance both physically and mentally, is necessary to put on such a show. Our “gracefulness” was amusing to watch as well. It was also a bonding experience. We learned what goes on in each of our minds based on their movement choice. But that is what dance is after all, a form of expression.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“The next time you look into the mirror, just look at the way the ears rest next to the head; look at the way the hairline grows; think of all the little bones in your wrist. It is a miracle. And the dance is a celebration of that miracle.” *Martha Graham*

2. Madeeha’s avatar

Looking back at the video, I cannot help but wonder if that was really us. I know it sounds weird but it looks like all of us transformed when we were dancing. Our movements were a reflection of our personality and our moods. I have never considered myself a dancer because I am not flexible and I lack the patience to practice the same routine everyday but with modern dance everything is different. The body just moves with the rhythm, there is no thought. For me this was the part which was so difficult. I cannot separate my mind from my body but dancing eased my mind and body. I will definitely try it again (if I am forced) 🙂

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.” *Martha Graham*

Martha’s advice applies to a lot more.

2. Susan Wu’s avatar

Wow…. never danced in my life and even if I did, I never danced in front of so many people before. But I LOVED it. It was so fun and I felt so free just moving around with the class. I think dancing really does uplift one’s spirit. I don’t know how to explain it, but one can definitely feel it. Before this class, I was never really too interested in dancing, particular the ones with graceful, yet awkward movements. I didn’t really see the beauty in it. I mostly concentrated on the footwork and not the elegance of it. After going to a dance festival and having the opportunity to really learn what dance is about from Sheila Kaminsky…?, and having the opportunity to participate in a dance as well, really opened up my mind to this abstract form of art. I began to appreciate dance more and it’s such a good feeling to dance. It’s an especially good feeling to dance out your anger, frustration, and stress, which I was feeling much of.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Movement never lies. It is a barometer telling the state of the soul’s weather to all who can read it.” *Martha Graham*

2. Jamilur Reja’s avatar

I must say….I do not know which is better? The elegant dancing or the immaculate camera work. 🙂
                    Dance is an art of movement of the body. Flexing of the body in unique and weird motions is what makes dance distinctive. Anyone can create new moves and incorporate their own innovations. I am not a fan of dancing because I have no moves. But, I definitely enjoy watching others dance and put on a show. However, I think the Macaulay Class of 2013 can give the professionals a run for their money.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” *Albert Einstein*

That’s apparently was Ms. Kaminsky accomplished.

2. Tanvir Jahan’s avatar

I don’t consider myself a dancer though I have had some prior dancing experiences. For example, in my senior year in middle school, I was required to take a dance class in which we’d practice certain popular group dance routines. At the end of the year was when I saw the movie of “West Side Story” for the first time. Then in my junior year in high school, I had to participate in a dancing portion of my physical education class. This time, I gained training in one-on-one dancing. The dancing I did in Prof. Judell’s class was different because I had to make up my own dance moves, but it was lots of fun and definitely better than I had expected it to be.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

“Dance is the only art in which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made.” *Ted Shawn*

2. Kathleen M. O\'Donnell’s avatar

This was one of the most fun lessons that I ever experienced. Thanks!

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Maybe you would have had more to write if the experience had been a bit depressing? Anyway, thanks for the enthusiasm.

2. Chirag Shah’s avatar

Dancing makes ones mind travel to many lengths in all directions. For me it is a form of expression of feeling and I see the same in others. Personally I do not like to dance, but watching professionals is inspiring and watching beginners such as ourselves is always delightful.

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

I couldn’t have said it better, but dance critic Edward Denby could almost: “There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good.”

2. hdh1014’s avatar

I realize dancing could be quite fun, even if you stink at it. I like it better when a novice dancer tries to show off and miserably fail.
                            Luke

1. Prof. Judell’s avatar

Your enjoyment at others’ failures displays a very tasteful sadistic streak. Keep it up.

2. Prof. Judell’s avatar

The dancing is almost as fine as the great cinematography.

Comments are now closed.