Here I go again with the random

Took a bunch of pictures of yesterday’s tour of Montmartre. Camera ran out of battery. Batteries charging. Pictures up tomorrow or next day. Telegraphic speech end now.

In the meantime, some pictures I didn’t get around to posting yet.

Photobucket
I must have walked past this building a dozen times before I noticed that there appear to be two doors in this wall. Not sure what they are. Maybe very efficient fire escapes?

Photobucket
Have seen this graffiti around a few places. Always on the little bumpy bits of the curb. Thought I might as well post it here for posterity’s edification.

Photobucket
Gratuitous English. Sorta like when you pass a restaurant in New York that advertises “Cucina Italiana” or such. Except, you know, English is for fast food.

Photobucket
Walls, ivy, whoohoo.

Photobucket
Sculpture in the… 17th, I believe. Shiny!

Photobucket
“General Dream.”

Photobucket
Open door.

Photobucket
Buildings of various ages. Lampposts, I’ve noticed, have a way of getting in front of the pretty pictures I want to take. They just plant themselves down right in the middle of my lovely composition. People do that too, sometimes, but at least they move if you wait long enough.

Photobucket
Isn’t this the most adorablest fire station ever? French emergency vehicles in general are very cute. All rounded and chunky like toddler Happy Meal toys.

Photobucket
“Hairdresser: Brazil, Antilles, United States, Africa.” Dunno, just something kinda funny about seeing the US listed with a bunch of other countries that aren’t very US-y. And not sure why all of Africa is up there. I suppose its possible they all have similar hairdressing styles? I wouldn’t know, don’t pay attention to these things. Tend to lump countries together by language, or political systems, or history. Makes sense to put francophone countries together, or parliamentary democracies, or former colonies of a given country, or so on.

Photobucket
Church of some denomination or other, I believe.

Photobucket
Yeah, so sometimes the free-bicycles-on-the-street thing doesn’t work out so well.

Photobucket
The front gate to the dorms. Note the two signs. This is Paris, where you can live in the middle of the block, but on the end of the street.

Last night I saw Paris, je t’aime, an interesting anthology film lent and strongly recommended by a classmate. Well, actually, I saw Pariisi Rakkaudella. Swedish, I believe. Interesting sort of thing, running the gamut from depressing to heartwarming to amusingly ironic to completely surreal. It is admittedly kind of one of those spot-the-famous-person movies (Look! Willem Defoe as a hallucinated cowboy! Hey, the restaurant owner is Gerard Depardieu!), and some of the shorts would be a little gimmicky on their own, but it works pretty well taken all together.