Opera, 10/1

Up until this seminar class, I was not looking forward to the opera.  Dressing up and heading all the way to Manhattan to watch something I have no interest in felt displeasing. Fortunately, due to the several YouTube videos we watched during the class, heading to the opera seems like a trip worth taking.

I went to multiple musicals in my life, ranging from the disney musicals to the Phantom of the Opera.  The only musical that I thoroughly enjoyed was the The Lion King and in all honesty, the rest were a bore.  Since most of the shows I have seen lacked my interest, my past experience contributed to my disinterest of operas. I did consider the fact that musicals and operas were two different art forms but since I never took an in depth look at opera before, I sort of meshed the two as a single genre.

To my surprise, the opera videos we watched in class were simply fun to watch.  The performance from The Marriage of Figaro was by far my favorite since it made me laugh.  I actually never thought of operas as comedies, in fact, I had the notion that all operas were just melodramatic performances.  I am not sure why I had this outlook on the art form,  maybe because of the term, Soap Opera.  Melodrama is the first thing I think of when it comes to Soap Operas.

Thanks to youtube and this class, my thoughts towards opera changed. I never figured that operas would be fun to watch, I assumed they were boring melodramatic performances.  It is nice to expect a good time Wednesday night and I am sure I will be seeing more operas in the near future.