November 7th, 2012 James Baldassano

November 7th, 2012 James Baldassano

In our seminar session on November 7th, we continued our recitations of poetry, while the snow pounded down in a white flurry just outside the window. The weather seemed a fitting scene for a class of poetry, for I feel as if snow is a form of natural beauty, corresponding to poetry which is a human made form of beauty.

Of all the performances today, the one I enjoyed most was Christian’s poem (The Cab Driver’s Smile). His poem made me reflect on a large amount of people that I encounter regularly, but have no more than a generic, stereotypical feeling towards. It was about a cab driver who usually isolates himself from his passengers, with little interaction other than business. He was questioned by his passenger on several aspects, and the emotional barrier slowly came down, and revealed that he was a normal human like everyone else. This made me think, for I usually think of bus driver’s as merely bus drivers, waiters as merely waiters, or any other service-type job as nothing more. After hearing this poem, however, I think of them on a deeper scale, as a fellow human being with a lifetime of thoughts to share.

I enjoy these presentations, for it allows me to see how other people perform in front of an audience. Usually, I am very outgoing and talkative, so public speaking is not as traumatic to me as it is to others. But I enjoy seeing how other people who I would not expect to be good public speakers come up and do a fine job.