Hello readers! I have been remiss in my postings, although since I only have about half an hour of internet access a day, and only on the weekdays, I hope you all understand.

Last weekend Professor K-O took us to a brewery festival at Martini Brewery here in Kassel. There was live music, we got to take a tour of the brewery and see bottles being recycled, and of course, there was good food and beer!

__

Sunday I spent at home doing homework and watching the first Germany World Cup game, in which they won 4-0!

Tuesday our class took a trip to Whilemsthal (not to be confused with Whilemshöhe), which constantly reminded me of a Jane Austen novel.

__

Wednesday was more Aussprachetraining. This time we had to say things like:

“Wenn Fliegen hinter Fliegen fliegen, fliegen Fliegen Fliegen hinterher.”

to practice our intonation when we speak

and “Blaukraut bleibt Blaukraut und Brautkleid bleibt Brautkleid.”

Which is a tongue twister, even for native German speakers.

Thursday Professor K-O taught me and two other students how to play Skat, a somewhat complicated 4-person German card game that is a lot of fun. We’re hoping to teach some fellow German students when we get back to Hunter so that we can continue playing.

Friday was both the second German game and the second US game, and it was a somewhat frustrating day overall, since Germany lost and the US was denied a win due to a bad call made by the referee. However, it is awesome to be in a country of Football fans for the world cup. Almost any café, restaurant or bar has some kind of screen on which they show the Football games.

Saturday we were in Marburg, home to Rudi and Tanja and Ernst etc. – for those who are fans of the Jägerbuch German textbooks. We saw the beautiful Church of St. Elizabeth.

__

Saturday night I hung out at Shamrock, Kassel’s Irish Pub, with a friend and I took most of Sunday to rest and recuperate.

I can’t believe I only have five days left; the time has flown by.  On my first day, when I was worried about having to be in a strange land by myself for a month, I couldn’t have imagined how sad I would be that this is my final week here. I hope to be able to return to Germany and Kassel in the not too distant future.

More to come on my last week in Germany!

Bis später!

PS – “__” means picture to come!