Background Information

Artist: Unknown

Country of Origin: Cyprus (from the necropolis of Salamis)

Culture of Origin: Cypriot 

Date: Second half of the 5th century B.C.

Medium: Limestone 

Period: Cypro-Classical 

Analysis

This sculpture immediately resonated with me as I walked into the room it is housed in. I was struck by the lion’s fairly lifelike appearance because none of his features seemed blown out of proportion too much, such as the realistic torso to leg ratio and face to torso ratio. Moreover, the lion’s paws and mane are not overemphasized and are actually realistic. Nevertheless, I cannot say that the sculptor made the lion hyper-realistic because there are features that are somewhat unrealistic, such as the lion’s obviously widened and shortened nose and his excessively muscular and thick torso and legs. The color of the sculpture is consistent all throughout because the sculptor used the same medium. Interestingly, certain etches on the sculpture make for realistic shadows, such as between the lion’s stomach and back leg, near his front paws, and his large eyes and eyelids that almost make it seem as if the lion is looking at us. Furthermore, the darkness inside his mouth emphasizes the lion’s open mouth. Additionally, the lion’s mane is seemingly perfect because of the evenly-spaced etches emulating the fur on the mane. Nearly every part of the lion’s body is noticeably textured, thus standing out from other parts of the body, such as the torso and the legs do. Although the lion’s teeth are visible as his mouth is open widely, he does not look particularly angry. Rather, he seems slightly happy, which is ironic considering that his purpose is to guard the tomb. Another possibility is that he is actually opening his mouth to threaten potential attackers. In fact, it’s normal that there could be various interpretations of this work of art. 

This work of art consists solely of the limestone sculpture mimesis of a recumbent lion. This lion is a symbol of strength, power, and patience, as seen in his body’s bulkiness and his mature facial expression, which are relevant to his actual role in history as a guard of the tomb. Personally, I am most interested in the lion’s story and the actual emotions the sculptor intended to portray.