“Ultimately — or at the limit — in order to see a photograph well, it is best to look away or close your eyes. ‘The necessary condition for an image is sight,’Janouch told Kafka; and Kafka smiled and replied: ‘We photograph things in order to drive them out of our minds. My stories are a way of shutting my eyes.” (Part 1 pg 53)

The reason why I chose this quote because I found it interesting how the author uses the sense of irony to describe how to appreciate and truly visualize photographs. Normally if someone were to describe and appreciate a photograph, they would obviously have to use their eyes but what the author is bringing is a different perspective and using more of your mind rather than just visualizing it. This quote feels important to me because it starts to show the level depth the author analyzes things. 

“What the Photograph reproduces to infinity has occurred only once: the Photograph mechanically repeats what could never be repeated existentially.”

The reason why I chose this quote was because this was one quote that really made me start to wonder. I completely agree with this quote because one can always live in the moment and have fun, but as time progresses, these memories start to fade. Having that picture, brings back the memories, bring back the emotions associated with that moment. This is why people start to create photo albums and have a storage system for pictures. Quotes like these help to appreciate the text and make the readers think at a much deeper level. It helps the reader to resonate with the text and the ideas involved. 

How do objectify beauty and make others understand the vision we have?

no caption…