Prof. Laura Kolb | Fall 2019 | Baruch College

Stressed

1. Diya Vanjani

The first thing that caught my eye was the way you have formatted your erasure poem. The random scribbles, boxed words, and drawings on the bottom add a sense of confusion and disarray throughout the writing. I wanted to read the original because I wanted to find out why you have done this to the writing. Reading the original, I find out that the narrator is panicking because he/she does not have enough money for a bake sale and for their college fund. They are planning to blackmail the Singh twins with what was found in their closet in order to obtain that money. This seems like a very dire situation and puts me in a sense of suspense.

You have boxed the words that gave the reader suspense and anxiety to almost emphasize what the narrator is going through: “big looming deadline,” “found stashed,” “couldn’t put them back,” “stress about,” and “money” provides the reader with the feeling of disorder that the narrator is feeling. It almost places us in their shoes making us feel as if we are the ones who do not have enough money and need to gather it as soon as possible. The scribbles and highlights make this writing messier and more stressful than it already is and the apricots around the page try to tranquilize the situation but at the same time, make it more disorderly because of their random placement.