Radar Application in Agriculture

Download (PDF, 14.4MB)

45 Responses

1. Claudia Y
    Claudia Y / 12-3-2015 / ·

*I am Co-Author of this poster
    For this project I went with my partner out to Cornell University’s Long Island Horticultural Research & Extension Center to participate in a hands-on demonstration of how to use GPR and learn about its possible applications to agriculture. Our poster is essentially a summary of the trip, explaining the technology that we used and learned about, as well as providing a brief summary of the lecture at the event. Even though I could not participate in the wine tasting at the end of the day, I still learned about how important water is to growing grapes which helped me to see how useful GPR can be to farmers. Attending Professor Maurer Hansruedi’s lecture also informed me of how in collecting data, it is important to find the optimal point in which you can collect the most information while still remaining within your budget. In the end, even though I am not a geophysics, agriculture or any sort of environmental major, I found attending the Geophysics workshop as a fun learning experience.

2. Edwin Cho
    Edwin Cho / 12-3-2015 / ·

*I am a co-author of this poster

My partner and I attended an agricultural workshop on September 22nd demonstrating the use of geophysics in agriculture. The demonstration on the use of the Ground Penetrating Radar was very insightful and inspired us to make a poster that described our experience during the field trip. Making this poster allowed us to gain a deeper understanding of how this method works. Overall, this was a great learning experience.

3. Anthony Cacchone
    Anthony Cacchone / 12-3-2015 / ·

This group did a terrific job of explaining the GPR technology. Having missed the trip to see the initial presentation of the GPR, I did not expect to understand much of the technology; however, this poster helps to explain exactly what it is. It also explains how the GPR is used in geophysics. The layout of the poster is very appealing because the images are well spaced and the writing is very well-organized.

4. Alasdair McLean
    Alasdair McLean / 12-3-2015 / ·

I really liked how well the complexity of the issue was shown. The visuals and diagrams made it very clear just how many factors truly go into the process. Very interesting topic how directly things like soil pH and temperature can affect the flavor and consistency of a grape over the course of many months. Well done, and very well written.

5. Brianna Naizir
    Brianna Naizir / 12-3-2015 / ·

This poster was very well-organized, concise, and informative. I found that the clear-cut organization presented the information about GPR technology in a way that is easy to understand and interesting. Including photos from your actual experience from the trip was a great addition and definitely made your poster stand out!

6. Nicholas Randazzo
    Nicholas Randazzo / 12-3-2015 / ·

GPR seems like a very complex process, but I felt that this poster explained it clearly and succinctly. The comparison between GPR and MRI was especially effective. The “Curse of Dimensionality” portion of the poster was also interesting because it brought up the idea of an optimization problem, where scientists need to find a balance between data collection and financial cost. This is a common problem in most scientific disciplines.

7. Daniel Obeng
    Daniel Obeng / 12-3-2015 / ·

Effective use of diagrams and charts. The entire process is very interesting and seems like a good field to explore. The curse of dimensionality truly is a curse as it really limits the extent of detail and accuracy of the land profile that can be represented; not to mention that it is very time consuming and costly.

8. Manjekar Budhai
    Manjekar Budhai / 12-3-2015 / ·

Great poster! You guys presented a new topic such as GPR in a concise and easy to understand way. The poster is very informative, and learned a lot simply from reading your introduction. I never knew the amount of scientific work that exists in farming and vineyards. I admire the color scheme and the background, which does not distract from the content of the poster. Having your own photos is also a big plus!

9. Vishnu Nair
    Vishnu Nair / 12-3-2015 / ·

First off, I like the aesthetics of the poster: The background does not take away from the presentation of the poster, and the information is laid out well. I also like how photos from your actual experience were included. The text was easy to understand, and I was fascinated at how an application of radars (in this case, GPR) was so important in winemaking.

10. Ellianna Schwab
    Ellianna Schwab / 12-3-2015 / ·

I thought the poster explained a potentially difficult concept very thoroughly and accessibly. I thought the group chose a great visual depiction of the signal acquisition geometry; it really helped me better understand the GPR process.

11. Jason Yu
    Jason Yu / 12-3-2015 / ·

The immediate thing noticed when viewing the poster is the background photo encompassing the whole thing – it is very unique and provides a lot of color to the print. It is explained that with more variables, in data, more expenses are needed to measure and analyze said variables. So, when factoring in dimensionality in GPR, where is the trade-off between knowledge and economic feasibility? Albeit, it is always a plus when authors of a topic physically visit a site or do work relating to their text.

12. Tala Azar
    Tala Azar / 12-3-2015 / ·

The name “Radar Applications in Agriculture” really demonstrated what you guys were after. The technical information coupled with the practical aspect of how GPR applies to Vineyard Geophysics provided a holistic view of GPR and its importance. The poster itself is extremely well designed and stands out in a room!

13. Sophia Ebanks
    Sophia Ebanks / 12-3-2015 / ·

This project is very different from the others. I like that you both got to experience this first-hand and bring to light some things that we, especially as people in New York City, never really think of. The photos add a very personal touch. Great job!

14. joshuachu
    joshuachu / 12-3-2015 / ·

Your poster presents a good deal of information about GPR, overlaid on a nice background!

It works as a good general overview of GPR, with a good example of output.

Great job!

15. Nabila Akthar
    Nabila Akthar / 12-3-2015 / ·

I really enjoyed the description of the lecture you attended because it is very informative and explains to students the advantages to using these opportunities to learn about GPR applications in the NY area. I really like your point about the importance of gathering information within your budget. I didn’t quite think of that before. This may be something to emphasize in verbally presenting your poster.

16. rschechter
    rschechter / 12-3-2015 / ·

I thought this poster was really well done. It was great to see that your team got hands on exposure to the different methods of GPR data collection. I liked Vineyard Geophysics section, which I believe is a really good example of how GPR can be applied and it helps the audience understand the concept too.

17. Patrick Blake
    Patrick Blake / 12-4-2015 / ·

I really liked the flow of your poster, especially considering prior to reading your poster, I had no clue what GPR was. By first introducing what GPR was, then describing specific methods, and finally applying the methods, I was never left in the dark as to what you were talking about.

18. Kevin Call
    Kevin Call / 12-5-2015 / ·

I have a new found appreciation for grape farmers and vineyard owners. It is interesting to learn how complicated agriculture is, when many consider it a relatively easy field. Although it is not directly mentioned in the poster, it is interesting to note the precarious balance between precision and accuracy Claudia mentioned in her post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this poster, and think the background image is great.

19. Vijay SIngh
    Vijay SIngh / 12-8-2015 / ·

I really like the outlook of the poster. The colors are vibrant, and background is perfectly opaque. What I find most alluring about your poster is the fact that you actually went to vineyards and personally examined the radar process. This gives your project, as well as your conclusions, credibility and authenticity. Great Job guys!

20. Edwin Cho
    Edwin Cho / 12-8-2015 / ·

*I am a co-author of this poster

The poster session was a very valuable experience for us. I didn’t realize how important it was to have a good pitch to explain the poster. I wasn’t very prepared in that respect. There were also many other posters in my session. It was very interesting to see what other people did for their research. I saw some very interesting ideas. Some didn’t seem very scientific and more on the social aspect. There were some very interesting designs as well. The entire poster session was a great learning experience.

21. Claudia Y
    Claudia Y / 12-8-2015 / ·

*I am Co-Author of this poster
    The poster session was a really interesting experience. It was cool to put our poster on the wall and see it presented officially. It was also really nice to meet up with acquaintances from other campuses. The posters that other students did were so varied and everyone was very friendly and passionate with presenting their posters. I may have been extremely biased in the voting process and favored the posters from City College Students.

22. Lily A Evans
    Lily A Evans / 12-8-2015 / ·

I think it’s so cool that you went out and were part of collecting this data! I also really enjoy the pictures taken at your site that you guys are in and the real interactions you have with equipment. Your project was quite different than what everybody else did and it was refreshing. I also thought your organization was clear and easily accessible and your charts and graphs added excellently to your overall work.

23. C. Thomson
    C. Thomson / 12-9-2015 / ·

I found your poster to give a very good overview of how GPR works. For someone with limited experience in the field, this could be an excellent introduction to the prose and cons of GPR data collection. since the title of the poster is “Radar application in agriculture”, an additional section titled “Applications” would have fleshed out the poster, as well as supporting the title. I am aware that there is currently limited use of this technology in agriculture yet I feel there are many possible uses. You hit on one in the vineyard use. Overall, the poster is very well set up.

24. Ashita Patel
    Ashita Patel / 12-9-2015 / ·

The presentation was thorough and I liked how you proposed solutions within your budget-this is something that needs to be incorporated into many projects in order to implement practical solutions.

25. Annette Scotto
    Annette Scotto / 12-9-2015 / ·

This poster is done very well. I like how they went out and collected data. I also love how they enjoyed the vineyard’s wine. Overall great poster.

26. Vinicius De Paula
    Vinicius De Paula / 12-9-2015 / ·

What about the soil composition itself? The soil composition can be optimized for a even better yield of grapes.

27. Jaret Horn
    Jaret Horn / 12-9-2015 / ·

I would be curious to see if this method could significantly increase the yield of a winery and make them much more profitable.

28. Myrna Hanna
    Myrna Hanna / 12-9-2015 / ·

This was a very detailed project. I liked how you were able to combine a real life experience with additional research and come up with feasible proposed solutions and well formed presentation.

29. Suliman Ahmed
    Suliman Ahmed / 12-9-2015 / ·

Very informative poster that gives a nice and brief summary about the technology, from the way it works to the different methods to use it.

30. Nicholas Iaconetti
    Nicholas Iaconetti / 12-9-2015 / ·

It was amazing to see how new technology can increase the amount of data farmers can use to farm more efficiently.

31. Lawrence
    Lawrence / 12-9-2015 / ·

It was great you actually got a run of the equipment, and that you got an interesting perspective on the curse of dimensionality for this case. I enjoyed the layout of your poster, and even though it is quite wordy it was appropriate for the audience.

32. modou sene
    modou sene / 12-9-2015 / ·

nice job guys!

33. Qahtan Al Jammali
    Qahtan Al Jammali / 12-9-2015 / ·

Having been on this trip, I can say this poster was done extremely well! it included almost everything that was explained on the trip.

34. Karmin Chong
    Karmin Chong / 12-9-2015 / ·

I was part of this trip as well. It’s nice to see you guys apply what you did and learned during the trip to the poster.

35. Safat Chowdhury
    Safat Chowdhury / 12-9-2015 / ·

You know what really interested me was that you incorporated a lesser known topic with the topic of technology, which is well known. It went in depth as you specified what kind of technology your using, and how your using it to benefit agriculture, something that is very importanjt but not that well known.

36. Zarka
    Zarka / 12-9-2015 / ·

The images capture attention right away because it shows that work based on radar applications were performed on this assignment. The titles of each section capture attention wonderfully. It was nice how the group members used GPR data analysis to conduct their research.

37. Tyler Pirnak
    Tyler Pirnak / 12-9-2015 / ·

This was a very informative poster. I particularity liked the information pertaining to GPR and how you actually were involved in the data collection.

38. Omar Hammad
    Omar Hammad / 12-9-2015 / ·

This is a really nice poster. I was part of this trip and its not just the curse of dimensionality that is an issue but also the sensitivity of the equipment. This was a big issue that they talked about, and the manual pushing and physical needs of operating that equipment was not the most fun.

39. Oksana James
    Oksana James / 12-9-2015 / ·

Very good job. I wish that I got to go to this trip and see you guys work with these equipments.

40. Nazmul Bhuiyan
    Nazmul Bhuiyan / 12-9-2015 / ·

Subsurface study is useful for agricultural purposes. A wide range of scientific information can be obtained from the ground regarding the soil to determine if the soil is effective for agricultural purposes. I like the GPR method particularly.

41. Koren Delos Santos
    Koren Delos Santos / 12-9-2015 / ·

Great job on the poster! Glad you guys got to experience the GPR method first hand.

42. tao zhang
    tao zhang / 12-9-2015 / ·

it was great to see how this equipment work. it was very convenient to use the machine to make soil profile.

43. Tint Chann
    Tint Chann / 12-9-2015 / ·

Really interesting and complex presentation. I like how you guys did an hands on experiment for the presentation.

44. Migena Shehu
    Migena Shehu / 12-9-2015 / ·

I was on this trip too. Good job explaining everything about the GPR method.

45. Oluwaloni Adeniran
    Oluwaloni Adeniran / 12-10-2015 / ·

This is something I’ve never thought about, checking the soil before you plant on it. Is this approach to checking whats underneath the ground applicable in warmer climates near the equator? It would have been nice to know what this means for areas with contaminated soil. How much does it cost to operate this method as opposed to other methods that were used in the past? This was a very informative explanation of Radar Application for Agriculture.