Prior to our discussion March 29 please visit the Museum of the City of New York and tour the exhibit Mastering the Metropolis: New York and Zoning, 1916-2016. Admittance is free with your QC ID.
While touring the exhibit, keep the following questions in mind and come prepared to discuss them in class:
- what issues or problems are the various rezoning efforts intended to address?
- do they prove successful at the addressing them? In what ways?
- what unintended consequences result?
- what larger impact do rezonings have on the development of New York City?
- and as always, who benefits – and who loses – from the various zoning changes?
- how do these changes reflect “a century of evolving ideas about what constitutes an ‘ideal’ city?”