Luka's Arts In NYC

Metropolitan Assignment; Bambu

by on Nov.05, 2010, under Assignments, MY Favorite Piece..., Structure/ Architecture

I think the way the Starns brothers changed our way of art is that they changed the way we experience it. In a lot of art you’re usually able to see the whole piece at one point at least. In the Big Bambu piece it was impossible to see all of it. There was no upper level and it was too big to see all of it from just one side. For example, when you first walk in you see the wave, which is the main part of the whole piece. But as you go into it you see every individual branch of Bamboo and how they differ. You see different shades, different thickness and even different strings that were used to tie up the piece. It changed our perspective of the piece because it gave into the idea that there is more than meets the eye.

The Starns brothers change our perspective of the city by making it a backdrop of the piece. When I walked through the whole bamboo structure and looked at it from the other side what I saw was the city. It seemed as if it was the background of the actual piece and as much a part of the piece as was the bamboo that it was built on. But the city also in this case takes a secondary role. It is a tool as opposed to a focal point. When we think of the city we think of it as big, something that would be focused on and less complimentary and more taking away from other things, but in this case it is complementary. I think the reason why the artists did this was to show that the city is really a tool that can be used whichever way you want it. They are saying the city is what you make out of it and how you utilize it is your own choice.

The Starns changed the way we perceive the Met because they gave the museum a new layer. Big Bambu added a whole new floor almost to the Met. Not only that but it added almost like a roller coaster amusement ride type of feel to the Met. It didn’t feel as if that part of the museum was more like rather than like something similar to the Wonder Wheel or the Cyclone. Like the fact that you had a line for the elevator that went up to it gave me this sense of waiting online for a roller coaster. The anticipation and excitement of waiting to see what you were going up against and the simple fact this was a huge wooden structure adds to that similarity in correlation.

While looking at the “Big Bambu” I saw a piece of art that was not only art but a representation of the city. It was a ride for children to play on. A Jungle gym of sorts and this really made me see that art can be literally interactive. When I saw this piece only one thing truly came to mind. It was this Jungle gym in front of the Guggenheim Bilbao. It was very well done artistically. But it was also a playground. I’d put this type of art in a genre. I would call this physical art. In a lot of forms of art the audience has visual interaction with the piece. In music you have audio interaction. But there are very few pieces with physical interaction.

This is only the side you see when you first enter the exhibit