Luka's Arts In NYC

Should Sports Be Considered Art: Football

by on Nov.08, 2010, under Sports

Since i did this with basketball i decided to eventually throughout this course do it with all the main team sports as well as some other sports such as snowboarding and swimming. So my next sport is football.now do i consider football a sport. In my opinion in a way it is a sport because there is this constant give an go between defense and offense. There are these complicated formations, which are similar to formations in dance, where each person is supposed to start off. There are certain positions and roles you have to fill out and work differently, which reminds me almost of an orchestra. For example, the conductor of the orchestra in the case would be the quarterback. He is calling the shots and saying, based on the defensive patterns of the opposing team, what they should do and is ultimately deciding where the ball goes. Like all sports this sport reminds me of improv dancing, because you’re going in with a basic idea of what you’re supposed to do. You don’t go in their not knowing what you’re role is. But whether you get to achieve that role and how you achieve it varies with each possession.

With football there’s a very solid argument on why it would be considered a form of art. One part is fluidity. There are so many breaks in football that it doesn’t really seem like a fluid piece of motion but rather stagnant pieces broken together. But in my opinion each play is like a song in an opera. The songs often connect to each other if they are in the same act and without one often the other would seem out of context. This is the same in football., Without the play before you wouldn’t be making the current play because you wouldn’t be in the same position that you are in. Football almost follows a story. Where you start off in the beginning and constantly fighting to reach the end.

Another argument is again that it is to regulated. There are so many rules on what you can and can’t do in football that it seems hardly the same as art where you’re really allowed to run free with no rules to hold you down. But these rules work as form to help define a specific genre that is “football”. Just as Blues in music follows the same outline throughout every song, so does football. But you would hardly say that all blues is the same, just as you would argue that no football game is ever the same as the last.

The last is that it lacks content. There is no deeper meaning to football supposedly. But in my opinion there is. It shows the pure primal nature of human beings and how brain(plays) has to work wiht brawn(the players) in order to truly succeed. In football the great teams win because of both their players and the coach that is calling the plays. So i do think football is an art form.

1 Comment for this entry

• dmeyersk

I think this is a really interesting way to look at sports. I would say that this gives me the sense that you probably view the world from an artist’s perspective. You are articulating the aesthetic structures that are at work — comparing sports to dance rather than comparing dance to football shows this perspective. You recognize the art within the other.