Luka's Arts In NYC

The Met Opera: Les Contes D’ Hoffman: MY Favorite Part

by on Nov.08, 2010, under Assignments, MY Favorite Piece..., Performing Art

I would have to say that my favorite piece in whole play would probably have been the Kleinzach piece, which was in the prologue and epilogue. It was a very comical piece, but in the epilogue, when you realize that the main character Hoffmann makes himself Kleinzach, who is a dwarf. This piece happens when Hoffman, the main character of the opera, enters the bar. This piece is a bar song. The whole ensemble in the bar sings it but Hoffman leads it.

The music for this piece is repetitive, as in it follows the same groove and melody thorughout thewhole piece. The Vocals are conversational; when Hoffman says something the audience repeats the last word/phrase. The sound of the music is very playful but and reminds me of a bar scene.

The reason why this was my favorite piece was because i liked how the music went along with the vocals and the performance on stage. I like how the motions imitated the content and noise from the vocals. I also just thought it was a very comedic, yet sinister part of the piece that was very entertaining to me.