Seminar 4: Shaping the Future of NYC Prof. Maciuika, Spring 2014

Seminar 4: Shaping the Future of NYC
Disappointing Activism

The Activist New York exhibition that I remember most vividly was the one regarding people protesting the construction of a mosque near Ground Zero. Photographs of men and women alike held up signs declaring that building a mosque was disgraceful, disrespectful, and heinous.  It makes me sad that people make generalizations of this degree. Just because a couple of crazed extremists were responsible for the death of over 3,000 innocent Americans, doesn’t mean that the Muslim religion breeds terrorists. A mosque is a site for worship. People are making incorrect links between the religion and terrorist activity. Timothy McVeigh was an American responsible for the terrorist attack on a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995. He was Roman Catholic. The last I heard, people didn’t automatically assume that their Catholic neighbors were terrorists. Protests weren’t held to stop the building of a Catholic Church near this building. I understand that people who lost loved ones at Ground Zero are sensitive, but that doesn’t mean that they can make incorrect conclusions about a certain set of beliefs and that definitely doesn’t mean that they can deprive people of their right to worship.