Green Roofs Response

I agree with many of the responses regarding this paper, that this was one of the more interesting articles we read. I also learned more about gree rooftops, such as they act as insulation for the building. Whenever I think of rooftop gardens, the High Line comes to mind. Though it’s not quite the same, I think that the High Line is a great example of what rooftop gardens and green spaces should be modeled like. I know some buildings try to incorporate greenery on the roofs, but that usually entails potted plants here and there, not really supporting what this article is saying.

I found the statistics to be interesting as well, particularly the section where it mentions just how much oxygen can be produced if all the roofs were to be covered by greenery. Everyone in cities always talks about air pollution and that we need more green space to address that issue, and they focus on adding greenery to the sidewalks, etc. but not many think of roofs. There are definitely several issues that need to be addressed regarding these green rooftops, such as finding the right plants for the climate as well as for the building. Regarding climate, you can’t just start planting tropical plants on the roof because the conditions are much harsher than where the plant species originates from, and even if they are accustomed to our climate, the roof can be seen as its own climate. The rooftops are most exposed to rain, snow, the burning sun, and wind, so plants need to be able to handle such conditions. Additionally, you need to make sure that the plants won’t harm the building itself. I know many buildings have ivy growing on them, but ivy actually corrodes the walls, and no one wants to have a bunch of plants suddenly plummeting straight through apartments because of the erosion.

Overall, I think that the city should implement policies promoting rooftop greenery, but that goes without saying that much research needs to be done. Just as city and park planners make efforts to beautify parks and make them environment-friendly, the same should be done for our roofs.