Five Billboard Songs with Vibrant Lyrics

In April, many celebrate National Poetry Month. Unfortunately, few living poets are household names in this day and age.

However, music serves as a form of poetry that dominates our daily lives. Poetry is not just confined to words and literature; lyrics are a form of poetry heightened by sound. In light of this, here is a list of five top Billboard songs (in no particular ranking) with fluid, vibrant lyrics.

1. Cardi B — Be Careful

Cardi B’s “Be Careful” is a nice departure from her usual rhymes. Without losing any rhythm, Cardi B manages to display her vulnerable side. Despite the controversial “ghost writer” behind the lyrics, one cannot help but feel her passion when delivering the rap. It sure makes you think about who in their right mind decided to wrong her. The highlight of the song for me were the following lines:

“You even got me trippin’, you got me lookin’ in the mirror different/Thinkin’ I’m flawed because you inconsistent/Between a rock and a hard place, the mud and the dirt/It’s gon’ hurt me to hate you, but lovin’ you’s worse.”

2. Kendrick Lamar, SZA — All the Stars

“All the Stars” featuring Kendrick Lamar and SZA sports strong lyrics and an almost ominous beat. The song was written for Marvel’s Black Panther, but holds it own with lyrics like:

“Tell me what you gon’ do to me/Confrontation ain’t nothin’ new to me/You can bring a bullet, bring a sword/Bring a morgue, but you can’t bring the truth to me” from Lamar. SZA follows his lead with figurative lyrics like: “Skin covered in ego/Get to talkin’, I get involved, like a rebound/No control, no off switch in the way that you bringing me down/It’s a turn on, get it away from me.”

This dynamic duo hits hard, and it’s certainly not a surprise that Lamar made history when he won the Nobel Prize for Music this year.

3. Foster the People — Sit Next to Me

Indie band Foster the People made a comeback last year with “Sit Next to Me,” and though it is lower on the list, it still gets some airplay even today and is dubbed underrated by many. With lyrics that send off chill vibes perfect for a late night drive, Mark Foster’s unique vocals are head to get out of your head. The following lyrics scream “carpe diem”:

“But we’re always on the move/And now it’s over, we’re sober/Symptoms of the culture/And the night ain’t getting younger.”

4. Ed Sheeran — Perfect

Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect” is still going strong on the top 100 list. Sheeran remains one of the few artists that tends to write his own lyrics. With straightforward, but descriptive melodic phrases like “Baby, I’m dancing in the dark with you between my arms/Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song,” it’s no wonder people swoon at the tune.

5. Dua Lipa — New Rules

Dua Lipa’s “New Rules,” has been on play for some time now. It’s one of this generation’s anthems. It certainly shows off some catchy and empowering lyrics for those struggling with breakups. A witty line from the song:  

“If you’re under him, you aint getting over him.”

I’m sure you know someone who could list off all the rules from this song. 

17 thoughts on “Five Billboard Songs with Vibrant Lyrics”

1. I have listened all these songs and lyrics of all songs are awesome but “Sit next to me” by Foster the people is my favorite.

2. These Line Superb..i have Listen all These Songs..
    Music serves as a form of poetry that dominates our daily lives. Poetry is not just confined to words and literature; lyrics are a form of poetry heightened by sound.
    Truth..