A Night to Remember

CUNY Macaulay Honors College students have long regarded “A Night at the Museum” as the highlight of the Arts in New York City Seminar. After being canceled for the past two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Macaulay was finally able to celebrate a triumphant return to the Brooklyn Museum last month. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors were all invited to learn more about Macaulay, the arts and each other. 

Following rousing speeches given by Dean Dara Byrne, CUNY Chancellor Felix V. Matos Rodriquez and other faculty members, students were able to explore the museum for nearly three hours. They were assigned a simple task: to record the conversations they participated in with regards to each work of art. Roaming from the first floor to the fifth, students had the chance to view the Ancient Egyptian, European and American art exhibits, among others. 

In the afterhours of the evening, which are usually closed, students gathered in droves to observe, discuss, and analyze the artwork, throughout each gallery. They drew connections to their classes, particularly the Arts in New York City Seminar or Art History 111, and opened their minds to novel concepts. Many brought in historical or personal context as they recorded their discussions – and not just with their peers. Some students were even spotted lying down to observe the ceiling with Chancellor Rodriquez. 

Of the night, students had nothing but glowing praise when asked for comments. Teo Stallworth, class of ‘22, claimed that “The true art were the friends we made along the way,” and added that, “I’ve spent the last 45 minutes trying to think of a good quote, but I can’t actually properly convey the fun and joy that night had.” Echoing his sentiments, Lorence Cuda, also a freshman, said, “I think the entire night gave me a sense of community that I was really worried I’d miss out on in such a big school.” It appears that “A Night at the Museum” was successful not only in challenging students to appreciate art of all forms, but each other as well. Art is not meant to be observed in a vacuum, but rather an experience to be shared with one another, and Macaulay has definitely provided that for these students. 

Macaulay students were the only guests of the museum that night, making them one of the few with the rare experience of having the museum all to themselves. As the newest members of one of Macaulay’s oldest traditions, these students will undoubtedly continue to further their appreciation for the arts as they continue to uphold the legacy of Macaulay.  

Photo Credit: @macaulayhonors on instagram