B&I Uniforms

As I ran from store to store in the pouring rain I couldn’t help but get frustrated. Why won’t people take ten minutes out of their day to talk about their business with me? I began to lose hope that I would conduct a successful interview today. However, this feeling soon changed as I walked into my fifth store of the day, B&I Uniforms. The environment of this store was friendly and welcoming. Two nice women greeted me as I walked in asking what they could do for me.

As I looked around I saw racks of clothing along with some shoe wear hanging on the wall behind the cash register. The owner of the store, Indira Basrag, was more than happy to talk to me about the history of her business.

Indira is originally from Trinidad, which is located in the Caribbean. She moved to America with her family of eight when she was 22 years old. She wanted to experience what New York was like, so she chose to live in Queens and has lived there ever since. She occasionally commutes to her store, which is located on 2nd Ave between 24th and 25th street.  She originally worked for B&A Uniforms which was located across the street. It was her second job in New York and she worked there for 18 years. Eventually B&A Uniforms closed and she took over and renamed the store to B&I uniforms ( to represent her name).  

Indira revealed to me that in order to properly run her business she needs good budgeting skills – “costs rise significantly and sometimes you don’t even notice.” In addition, she needs to have good communication skills and people skills – “sometimes you need to have more than one personality, for you are dealing with different types of people.” Most of her customers are nursing students who need uniforms or even actual practicing doctors. Her store also attracts waitresses, chefs, and maids. Indira has a personal relationship with most of her customers. “Sometimes they come in just to say hi, even if they don’t buy anything.” After all, B&I Uniforms has a great reputation with customer service.

Throughout the years there hasn’t been a change in customer demographic, for the hospitals and schools in the area have remained. However, many people shop online nowaday and this has taken away from Indira’s customer base. She no longer has as many customers as she once used to. In addition, she finds it difficult to reach out to new customers. She doesn’t really advertise – “the only advertising we get is through productions – if someone is producing a film and needs uniforms they get it from us and pass it along to the next film producers.”

The only complaint Indira had about her location was about the rehab program next door – “ they are a handful to deal with.” Other than that, Indira really enjoys her neighborhood and has a good relationship with her landlord. Although paying rent is a challenge, for the price is always rising, Indira manages to pay rent on time and has decided that the benefit of being in the area she is in outweighs the cost of the space.

Overall Indira loves what she does and has no plans of closing the store in the near future.

This entry was posted in Oral History #2. Bookmark the permalink.