Enclaves, Eyesores, and the Willets Point Repair Shop

Because I live in Flushing, I have passed by Willets Point on the 7 train for 14 years. In the beginning, I remember being awed by the change of scenery from the heart of Flushing to Willets Point, and from Willets Point to beyond Citi Field, formerly Shea Stadium. Flushing bustled with activity, with colorful street signs and loud vendors. However, once you hopped on the 7 train, you were put in front of a wasteland within five minutes. A river lined with auto-repair shops and other shady-looking businesses spread out within your view, and junk, demolished buildings, and car parts lie scattered on the ground. Then, you approach Citi Field, which looks so out of place next to the wasteland.

I didn’t realize that Willets Point had many businesses before I read the two articles – I had thought that there were no running businesses because the area was so littered and looked torn apart. I had never seen a person walk into or out of a business, and the tractors and cranes that sleep near the shops never seemed to come alive. However, after I learned that there were many businesses that operated there and that the city planned on building apartments and luxury buildings in its place, I became frustrated.

Even though it may seem like a junkyard to those who do not know what goes on in Willets Point, it sustains many families and without it, even more people will be displaced and have nowhere to go. If there are luxury buildings and apartments somewhere in New York, there must be an area such as Willets Point to serve those who are not as wealthy as those who live in the fancy buildings. The city cannot expect those people to find a new place to work at even after demolishing their current business.

Willets Point also reminded me of Five Pointz, which was demolished a few years back. Although some people saw it as a building covered in trashy art and a place where crimes occurred, to many it was a place of art and history. However, the city decided to demolish the building and build a luxury apartment in its place, just as it plans to do with Willets Point. Although the new apartment will cater to wealthier residents and raise the value of the neighborhood, it completely ignores the amount of history and meaning that Five Pointz and Willets Point hold in their buildings. I do not believe that the city has rights to raze an area just because it is an ‘eyesore’, for that very area contributes to the essence, history, and meaning to New York City.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Week 10: Enclaves, Eyesores, and the Willet's Point Repair Shop. Bookmark the permalink.