Government and Responsibility

I think the government should be held responsible to protect hazardous and dirty occupations. Reading about Mayor Bloomberg’s plan to create a new urban space for Willets Point sounds great at first glance, but it heavily impacts the people there in the worst of ways. His proposal means that many of the local businesses will be shut down, causing unemployment for many immigrants. Residents there will be forced out and owners will have to move their businesses elsewhere. Doing any such major change to a neighborhood requires negotiation with ALL locals. However, much of the time the government focuses on making deals with owners of property, the big wealthy business owners, and neglect the middle and lower class people’s needs. In Willets Point specifically, there is a large number of immigrants who came to America illegally with little understanding of english and one labor skill. The city did offer english classes within the plan and even a job training program. However, like someone had said in one of the readings, immigrants have to work to afford to live here and have little time to take these classes. I do think the government has tried in the Willets Point case to help everyone, but it is not enough. All they did was satisfy property owners. If the government wants to raise the economy by redeveloping a neighborhood, they need to not only provide eminent domain, but assure all residents including illegal immigrants and low-wage workers affordable housing and employment. It’s understandable to see why politicians want to make profits for the state’s overall benefit, but morally it is imperative to take precaution for how certain actions can affect the very people who you are governing. I have always told myself I would never be a politician because no matter what I do, I’d get accused of doing something wrong. I do not believe there really is an entirely right or wrong decision when it comes to these kind of things. Yet, that does not mean there is a better decision. If the government makes frequent contact with all of its citizens and really listen to them, I think in cases related to development of new urban space and evicting residents, it is plausible to say more people would be satisfied.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Week 10: Enclaves, Eyesores, and the Willet's Point Repair Shop and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.