Response to Oldenburg and Zukin

Oldenburg’s argument is that small business is crucial because they provide a platform in which people are able to socialize with each other, regardless of social rank. This is important in a city because they help create places that are informal and let people know each other better, whether they be co-workers or complete strangers. Zukin’s argument is that people and small businesses comprise the identity of a city. The importance of small business is to provide a platform so people with different skill sets are able to express themselves, whether they be artists, cooks or engineers. I find Oldenburg’s argument more compelling because small businesses, like mom-and-pop stores, are supposed to be stores where only the people nearby know about it. This allows the formation of “regulars” and a community within that small business. These stores are not like chain stores, where each store is a replica of each other, with no individuality. The uniqueness of each store generates its own fan base of people who appreciate similar things and are able to effectively socialize with each other.

For me personally, small mom-and-pop restaurants are my favorite places to eat. They may be more expensive, but the uniqueness, mood, design and quality of food make me always want me to come back. A store that closely resembles Oldenburg’s description of a “third place” is a barbecue restaurant in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It is the tiniest restaurant in the world and is not really known to the local people. It is not found on Yelp or Grubhub. People only come to know about this place when their friends or family invites them to eat there. But there is a tight-knit community created within this restaurant, mainly because the owner makes an effort to try and talk with everyone that comes into the restaurant.

This entry was posted in Week 2: The Endangered Enclave. Bookmark the permalink.