The Endangered Enclave

After reading Oldenburg’s article, I was reminded of my childhood memory when I went to a local park called Peck Park almost every week during the summer. I believe that this park is a third place because it brings people in the neighborhood together, and thus, emits a sense of community. According to Oldenburg, there are eight facets of a third place: it exists on a neutral ground, it is a leveling place, it encourages conversation, it is accessible and accommodating, it has regulars, it has a low profile, it has a playful mood, and it is a home away from home. And this local park has all of these characteristics. People go to the park so they could relax, exercise, or play with their family, friends, and even strangers. But most importantly, parks improve the quality of life, which supports Oldenburg’s statement, “‘Third places’ (a type of place that is neither home nor work) are vital to the happiness and stability of a community” (1). The park is a place where residents could participate and make relationships in their communities. This makes life more enjoyable and makes you happier, enhancing your well-being. Furthermore, I think that a park is a leveler because there is no requirement to be in a certain social or economic status to be included. No matter who it is, everyone enjoys each other’s company and accepts one another. For instance, older kids didn’t mind when I played with them, and yet, we still had a lot of fun hanging out together. Therefore, this park is essential to the community and the lives of its patrons because it sets a comfortable and joyful mood that brings people of diverse backgrounds together. As for me, this park is an important part of my life because it was where I grew up and impacted who I am today.

This entry was posted in Week 2: The Endangered Enclave. Bookmark the permalink.