Gangs of New York

I decided to begin my analysis with the scene were Amsterdam first emerges in public from his severe beating by Bill. The use of camera angle was very impactful. They made it so that the viewer was experiencing the moment along with the character from his point of view. All of the heads of the townspeople turning and staring at the camera had a great emotional impact. This scene is a turning point in the movie. There is a change in Amsterdam after this point. His determination to rise against the Nativists and avenge his father grows considerably. This is when his true character comes out. At first he made believe he was loyal to the nativists but after this point he does not try to hide anything. His facial expressions change and you can see the determination in his eyes. When he hangs the dead rabbit in the square he is letting his intentions be known. It is like a declaration of war. The intensity of the cinematography increases and the plot begins to move faster. Right up until the moment that Amsterdam and Bill face off you can see his determination. Even when bombs are flying all around them and people are fleeing Amsterdam holds his ground.

The contrast between the actual war and the war between the gangs is an ongoing theme throughout the movie. They are interconnected but also separate in some ways. The climax of the film happens right in the height of draft riots when the gangs decide to face off. This is when the two wars collide into one big mess. I also really appreciated the shots from above that give a birds-eye view of the city. I think that they create a good image of what was going on in the city at the time and its dynamic.