What Does it Mean to “Pass”?

Lucia Lopez

Explore the literal and figurative meaning of “passing.”

The word “passing” has a deeper meaning in the context of the novel of the same name by Nella Larson than it does superficially. Literally, passing means to go by. The term can be used in a variety of ways but implies mobility and transition, which relates to its figurative meaning.

In the novel, passing means for a person of color to be able to be mistaken for being white. Both Claire and Irene are African-American women, but their skin is light enough for them to be mistaken as European. There are societal consequences of being able to “pass” as well. Privilege is closely associated with passing because it allows people of color to live their lives with the advantages of being white. For example, Irene was able to have a cup of tea at the Drayton because she looked white, therefore she would not get kicked out. Claire takes advantage of her passing even more, not telling her own husband that she is really African-American. Although segregation is not a legal issue in the US anymore, passing is still existent and still provides certain benefits to those who can pass. I myself experience this because although I am Latina, my skin is very light and I am usually mistaken for European. That means that I do not endure the racism and stereotypes that my darker-skinned Latina friends and family members go through because no one ever assumes I am Latina.

In this age of society, people have mixed so much that race is not an obvious indicator of ethnicity anymore. We should not assume someone’s ethnicity based on something so superficial. The fact that people can pass and live life with less obstacles also reveals that our society is in fact prejudice and we should work to change that in order to better the lives of those who have to endure oppression due to racism.