Who I Am- Jennifer Mikhli

Jennifer Mikhli
Who I Am
Society seems to set boundaries upon the titles that one can attribute to him/herself. One is believed to adopt one ethnicity, or one culture as the sole determinant in the way one behaves and operates. As humans, we are forced to decide what box we fit into, and to choose a socially constructed label that society has so astutely laid out for us. I, Jennifer Mikhli, believe that who I am has been shaped by a diverse variety of factors. I am the product of my parent’s nationality, my religion, and the environment that I have grown up in.
Both of my parents are from a region known as the Carpathian Mountains. It weaves its way along Ukraine and Romania, giving rise to a very special set of individuals. I believe that much of the strength and determination that I exude, owe themselves to the adversity felt by my ancestors living in that region. Their lives were marked by physical toil in the fields and religious oppression at the hands of the communist regime. Much of their ability to withstand such hardship and hearing the retelling of such stories has, I believe, made me a persevering individual.
My Jewish religion also continually shapes the person that I am. The traditions that I enjoy, the foods that I partake in, and the circle of friends that I posses are largely marked by the religion that I adhere to. All through my adolescence, I attended a private Jewish School, and thus Jewish tenets, values, and ideals have been inculcated within me since my youth. I embrace my religion completely, as I belief it makes me unique and allows me to maintain a sense of individuality.
Up until very recently, I was unaware how largely New York has affected the person I have become. It was not until recently when someone proclaimed that I was ‘the typical Brooklynite’, that I started to realize how my mannerisms and rushed approach to life were founded by my environment. Upon realizing this, I hit upon a consoling notion. Brooklyn is teeming with people from all walks of life. People that possess different cultural, national, and religious backgrounds. However, the environment of New York unifies us all. Although, we might be unaware, the great city that we take residence in continues to impact our very essence. Although ethnically different, we are united by a cohesive air that seems to shoot forth from this city.
I am really excited to learn about the rich history of immigrants who have journeyed their way over to New York City. I am excited to explore the diverse experiences that different races and peoples had to endure upon coming to settle in this city. Excitement fills me because I know that my parents were one of them. I also know, however, that although “the peopling of Brooklyn” might share many different heritages and cultures, the one language that seems to unify us all, is the one that this city whispers in our ears every day, ultimately setting the pace of our lives and placing an imprint on our personalities.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.