Ilanit Zada

Who we are

When I meet a new person, the first thing that I am asked immediately is, “Who are you?” I find that to be a very vague question. There are many different possible answers for that question. Are they asking in regards to my religion? My nationality? Where I live? What I like to do? I believe that the person I am today in comprised of several aspects. I do not believe that there is one clear cut answer for that question. How I define myself aspects including my religion, my nationality, and the place in which I reside.

As far as religion is concerned, I am an orthodox Jew. Judaism places many restraints on my life, not necessarily in a negative way, but there are many things that I can or cannot do because of my religion. Being Jewish plays a very important role in shaping my life. I follow the Jewish customs, live in a Jewish neighborhood, and being that I went to an orthodox school, have mostly Jewish friends. Many of the things I do, such as only wearing skirts, makes me feel as though I stand out; it makes me feel like I do not fit in. However, after mulling over this idea I realized that by doing these things Judaism is teaching me that being different does not necessarily have to be something bad. It just sets you apart from everyone else and gives you a sense of originality.

Another very important aspect of who I am is my nationality. Although I was born in America, my parents were not. Being the child of immigrants is a completely different experience. I constantly hear stories from my mother of what life was like in her homeland, Syria. My father also loves to share stories of his childhood, and I love listening to these stories. Hearing about their life, practicing their customs, and being able to speak a different language makes me feel as if I am a part of that community as well. For this reason, when people ask me what I am, as far as my nationality, although I may be American, I identify myself as being Syrian.

Lastly, the place in which I live plays a very important role in the person I am today. Although I may live in a neighborhood that is primarily Jewish, I am also surrounded by people of other religions and other nationalities. Although we may not follow all the same beliefs and we may have some points of disagreement, ultimately, we share the same goal: we all want  our country to prosper and we want to succeed in whatever we do. Those people around me have taught me to be a more understanding and accepting person.

All in all, my personality and who I am is actually defined not by one thing, but by a combination of multiple aspects. I am a Jew, an American, and a Syrian too and I am proud to be this specific combination.