Gurasees Chawla – Constant Redefining of Identity

Gurasees Chawla – Who We Are

The labeling of society and its constituents is a social construct that is closely associated with symbolic interactionism. The labels that are designated to people are largely influenced by systems of communication and the various interpretations of those forms. Thus, with the evolving nature of society, labeling is a dynamic and incessant process that adapts with the changing times. It is much easier to be labeled, than to label yourself because introspectively defining yourself is merely impossible due to surrounding circumstances. Labeling is largely influenced by the perception of the labeled person; the judgments of others are essentially irrelevant.

My name is Gurasees Chawla and because of my self-perception, I define myself as an American Indian Sikh (in that order). These nuances of these epithets are essential when trying to learn about who we are. I am primarily a devout Sikh, and my religion has predominantly shaped the morals and principles I abide by. Without Sikhism, I would be aimlessly lost with no direction to follow. My strong conviction in my faith has strengthened my character and has made me different from everyone else. Why would I want to blend in, if I was born to stand out? Most evidently, my turban is a defining factor in my labeling. My turban is not just a fashion statement. It holds massive amounts of temporal significance. My turban is a representation of royalty, force of integrity, and most importantly, a symbol of my loyalty to the Sikh faith.

Obviously, there are other factors that affect my labeling as an American Indian Sikh, but my faith is by far the largest contributor. I was born in America, and raised with a fusion of western and Indian ideals. But because of my “westernized” upbringing, I cannot relate myself as closely with India, thus the ordering of the label. However, this does not mean I cannot relate with India, because I do, but I do so distantly. I also have strong roots in Thailand and Kuwait, but I do not associate myself with them because my self-perception excludes them.

My status as a son, brother, and a friend also has influenced my self-perception. My love for sports also contributes to the cocktail of my label. The self-perception theory accounts for factors that can and cannot be controlled, however, your self-perception will inevitably change causing constant redefining.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.