“A Heart in New York” was a folk genre song created by American folk-rock duo Simon and Garfunkel, released in 1982. This track is released under their album, The Concert in Central Park. This album was released in February 1982 on Warner Bros. Record and became the artists’ first live album. It was a free benefit concert in Central Park, New York where the pair performed in front of more than 500,000 people.

This song contains a mixture of both jazz and rock music with an overall melancholy tone to emphasize the aesthetic beauty of New York City. There is a slow acoustic guitar and saxophone to express a nature of relaxation and smoothness. Throughout the music video, it shows clips of the city’s skyline and famous landmarks such as Central Park and the Statue of Liberty.

New York, to that tall skyline I come, flyin’ in from London to your door
New York, lookin’ down on Central Park
Where they say you should not wander after dark

New York, like a scene from all those movies
But you’re real enough to me, but there’s a heart
A heart that lives in New York

A heart in New York, a rose on the street
I write my song to that city heartbeat
A heart in New York, love in her eye, an open door and a friend for the night

New York, you got money on your mind
And my words won’t make a dime’s worth a difference, so here’s to you New York

Based on the lyrics of “A Heart in New York,” the artists reminisces the buildings and culture of the city. Although he travels far away from the city, he highlights that his heart still lives in New York. As the financial capital of America, New York is the place for opportunities, wealth, and money. Living in this robust city, the artists feel that the streets are like paved with gold and “like the scene from movies.”

I like this song because it has a soothing tone and soft singing about living in New York City. It is a combination of both rock and folk music and the lyrics references to the skyscrapers and history of New York.