Written by tanvirislam7

A Father and Son’s Dream

A Father and Son’s Dream by tanvirislam7

We have always been reminded that Rome was not built in a day. However, I haven’t seen anyone understand this phrase more than the owners of the Taj-Mahal. Though aesthetically similar to the grand spectacle in India, Taj-Mahal is the name of a Bengali/Indian restaurant in Jamaica, Queens, that emerged in 2005 with one man’s dream to bring Bengali and Indian cuisine to the Jamaica, Queens, community.

Fakhrul Islam Khan had a vision to open up a restaurant in Jamaica, Queens, where it would be possible for Bengalis and South Asians to avoid the long and arduous commute to either Jackson Heights or Manhattan to find ethnic Bengali and Indian dishes. His son, Mamun, has supported his father and helped him in realizing the vision and even expanding it in the form of a party hall and a second branch focusing on Indian-Chinese cuisine.

Popping into Taj-Mahal on a weekday afternoon, I am reminded of Jackson Heights, as I am able to see my Bengali culture. Elderly men are debating politics or anything else on their minds while sipping aromatic Bengali tea, cha. They argue and bicker but I am convinced it is all right since it is probably because they want to buy each other samosas. The television is on as people listen to Bollywood music while waiting on line to place their order while others sitting down for a quick bite have something to entertain them. It is always great to see my cultural side but at the same time, I also like it when the restaurant is pac

Enlarge

ked with people of different cultures. It shows that many palates find Bengali cuisine to be delicious.

The person who finds this even more amazing than I do is the son of the founder of the South Asian establishment, Mamun, who currently runs the restaurant. You can find him joking with customers, smiling and adding to the congenial atmosphere that Taj-Mahal offers.

Growing up in Queens in a Bengali household, Mamun was fascinated with the idea of people of other ethnicities trying out ethnic Bengali food. He was disappointed that the closest Indian restaurants were in Jackson Heights. He shared his father’s desire to change that and to “show off” delicious Bengali-Indian cuisine.

“The food served in Indian restaurants is often different from the food that is typically served in a Bengali household,” he said. However, some staples of Bengali cuisine such as fish and goat curries and lamb kormas have taken Queens by storm.

“It is a great feeling knowing that people of other cultures are also able to enjoy what we eat,” he said. I am convinced that source of joy pushes Mamun to work hard to continue helping Taj-Mahal grow.

Since 2005, Taj-Mahal has expanded from a restaurant to a party hall for special events. It has also become a popular destination for politicians and other community leaders. When they are finished promoting themselves, the politicians can’t help but try some of the mouth-watering food. Congressmen and even Mayor de Blasio have sat in on dinners, trying popular items like the chicken tikka masala.

“We have started a trend.” Mamun says. “There were no Indian restaurants here before and I am glad that we are one of the first.” Mamun is proud of Taj-Mahal’s impact on the community. Since 2005, when Taj-Mahal first opened, there have been many more Bengali restaurants in Jamaica, Queens, that were inspired by Mamun and his father’s success.

As for me, I will continue to pop in once in a while requesting their awesome vegetable samosa.

Be the first to leave a comment!