In my father’s bedroom, buried within the sock drawer, lies a gold watch that was originally my great grandfather’s. The watch has a silver face with silver hands and scuff marks on the acrylic glass and bracelet from the decades of daily use. Surrounding the face is a fluted bezel and shiny white gold links. Today, this watch is rarely worn and is only taken out on very special occasions. My great grandfather was a poor man working as a waiter in rural China in the restaurant industry. Buying such an expensive item while being barely able to make ends meet would seem like a foolish decision. However, buying this watch was one of the few life goals that my great grandfather wanted to pursue. A watch was an item that was universally recognized. Everyone knew its purpose and having a gold watch represented some sort of wealth. My great grandfather’s goal however wasn’t to boast about his nonexistent wealth but to give himself a sense of accomplishment. It was a reminder of the the hard work he put in order to buy this valuable item.

Rolex-1.jpg

The watch was later passed down to my grandfather and has served many purposes. It has been worn to formal banquets, weddings, and numerous social gatherings. Its classic design raises many questions about its condition, history, and remains as a stylish accessory today. The watch has been in my family for four generations and has played a major role in shaping my family’s immigration history. My grandfather, after inheriting the watch wanted to fulfill his dream of opening his own restaurant. He took the watch as inspiration to pursue to his lifelong goal. After moving to America and putting his life savings towards running his business, my grandfather named the restaurant “Oriental Pearl”, the model of the watch.

The watch now belongs to my father and was given to him when he was 18 years old. As a young adult, my father wasn’t able to understand the significance of the watch. He thought of the watch as just a dirty, old, scratched up piece of metal. As my father grew up and learned more about the story behind the watch, he began to appreciate how the watch played a major role in shaping my family’s history. While studying architecture in California, my father kept the watch in his drawer as a motivation to continue with his difficult studies. Today, my father refuses to polish the the watch as the scratches and dirt represent the past endeavors of him and his ancestors. He proudly wears the timepiece on his wrist eager to tell the story of his family to anyone who asks.

Although the watch itself contains some monetary value, the story behind it is what comprises its value. One day, the watch will be passed down to me where I will be able to write my own story. I will proudly be able to wear the watch when I walk down the aisle of my graduation ceremony remembering the long journey it will take to get to that point. The watch will then be passed down to my children where it will be worn on their wedding day. As time progresses and events occur, the watch will continue to build upon its history, inspiring its owner in telling their immigration story.

Be the first to leave a comment!