Save the dates

December 21, 2010 | Leave a Comment

Dear Seminar 2 Students:

Welcome to Seminar 2. Karen Gregory, who is our Graduate Tech Fellow for the course, and I look forward to meeting all of you on our first day of class, Tuesday, February 1. The class will be held at Roosevelt House, 47-49 East 65th Street (between Park and Madison avenues), 3rd floor classroom. This is just a quick 5-minute walk from the main campus at 68th Street and Lexington Avenue. Roosevelt House is the former home of Franklin,Eleanor and Sara Roosevelt, and has been part of Hunter College since 1942. It has been beautifully renovated and recently reopened. I will tell you more about it when we meet.

I want to give you some calendar information so you can plan ahead.

January 27, Thursday, 6:00-8:00pm. Common event REQUIRED for all Seminar 2 students in the MHC. Takes place at the CUNY Graduate Center, 34th Street and 5th Avenue.

Friday, February 11, REQUIRED Class field trip, 9:00am – 1:00pm (approximately). The college is closed for Lincoln’s Birthday so we have this opportunity to do our first extended field trip to East Harlem, the community that we will be studying for our research and wiki projects.

Monday, February 21, Tentative, HOLD THIS DATE, possible class field trip. The college is closed for Presidents’ Day.

Required reading for the second class: Russell Leigh Sharman, The Tenants of East Harlem. (University of California Press: 2006.) This can be obtained either through:
1. Purchase (online sites like barnesandnoble.com or amazon.com have lower prices, especially for used copies), OR
2. Read on reserve in the Hunter Library (2nd floor) at 68th Street, OR
3. Read for free online through the Hunter Library Ebrary system. For the latter, go to the Hunter website, select Libraries, select CUNY+/Books, put in Sharman as author, and the book will come up as en electronic resource. Just continue by clicking on it.

I will send you the rest of the required readings in the next week or two so you can acquire them less expensively if you decide to purchase them; I will also have them on reserve in the library. I am not ordering them through the bookstore so you will need to obtain them on your own if you choose to purchase them.

If you have any questions, please feel free to write to me using your official Hunter email addresses so I know who you are. Good luck on your exams and have a good holiday.

Cordially,
Professor Deborah Gardner

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind