Beethoven & Tchaikovsky

When I listened to Beethoven I noticed that it was like the instruments or at least the people playing them, were having a conversation. One would play a rhythm and the other would respond. They all compliment each other. It felt as if there was a conflict that needed to be resolved. This piece would constantly change from speedy and loud to slow, soft and quiet. There was also a lot of anticipation going on because of these changes. At times it would be simple and then get complex very fast, on the screen it looked very messy but I knew it had to have been composed very intricately and was coordinated even if it didn’t appear that way.

Similarly Tchaikovsky changes from speedy and loud to slow, soft and quiet but not as often as Beethoven would. There was anticipation and buildup but the piece as a whole was made very differently from that of Beethoven’s. Tchaikovsky made it like a one sided conversation where as Beethoven had made it like a dramatic and heated conversation. At the very beginning it only felt negative, I was reminded of sadness, regretfulness, guiltiness and many other words that aren’t very positive but it changed after the first 4 or so minutes to hopeful, happy and energetic.

I would say the meaning behind Beethoven’s piece was to convey an argument and a struggle between two entities while Tchaikovsky’s was more of listening to one explain themselves. It makes no sense but like art music has no real definition or meaning because it all depends on the beholder or listener.