Blog Post 5

Without going into the history of the creation of the 9th Symphony by Beethoven, and without having a context – it is hard to judge what exact intentions are of the author in the delivery of the music. The perspectives of listeners would most likely have a large variation in their interpretation of the first movement. This particular symphony is one that I have heard a few times over the years, first one being all the way back in elementary school. And the image changes always as if it is always a different symphony each time. The symphony induces a surge of emotions and by no means separates me from reality while listening to it. It rather does the opposite – it makes me focus on the things going on around me with more attention.

Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake is a contrasting example to the 9th symphony. The name presents an image to be searched out for in the music. It is easy to imagine the views of nature along with this music, and oddly enough, it reminds me of images of old Soviet cartoons from times when my parents would watch them as children.

Tchaikovsky’s symphony is successful in presenting one image and a story for the majority of the time which can be used for operas and such, while Beethoven’s 9th Symphony succeeds in presenting beautiful music for one’s own interpretation.