The Hotel as Art Gallery

Upon reading the title of this article, I thought that one of New York City’s hotels was going to be transformed into an art gallery.  As I began reading, I realized that I was wrong, but there is something more interesting going on.  Apparently, a lot of hotels are now into getting artwork up on their walls to give the hotel more of a personal touch for their customers.  This use of artwork displayed throughout the hotel is supposed to give the hotel its own identity and make it stand out from other hotels, rather than just make it look pretty.

This article focuses on the hotel called The James in Soho.  This hotel has hired a young artist, Matthew Jensen, to personally pick out artwork to decorate the hotel.  Jensen met Brad Wilson, the chief operating officer, at his own exhibit.  Wilson liked Jensen’s work and decided to hire him for the job of choosing artwork to decorate The James.  Jensen has decided to use pieces from an assortment of New York-based landscape artists on each floor.  This is a great opportunity for Jensen and it also gives him an opportunity to expose some other striving artists.

I personally feel that if a hotel is clean, safe, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing then it is a good pick.  I don’t think the use of all this artwork would really influence my decision on what hotel to stay in.  If one hotel had modern art and one had abstract art, my decision wouldn’t really sway; but, maybe there are many people out there who prefer to see a particular art display in their hotel.  If so, then The James and other hotels out there are making some good investments.
click here to see the article!

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.