Chinese Opera on decline

Chinese Opera is a hard art to appreciate.  It took years of sitting through many operas in order for me to appreciate the raucous instruments and the piercing voices.  This is of course due to my grandparents, who did nothing all day but sit through several TV viewings a day.

According to Richard Bernstein in the New York Times ( article here) , the art of Chinese Opera is in “fragile condition”.  Although there are many young students who are eager to learn the art and are enrolled in lessons, there are few people left who can still appreciate Chinese Opera.  It is not hard to see why, especially to audiences who are used to Western music.  There are loud clashes of cymbals, and traditional instruments such as the yehu and the pipa.  Yet, as my ears slowly got used to the harsh sounds, I have come to realize that the high tones usually sung by the female lead is hard to produce, and that a lot of work is put into the gestures, the elaborate make-up and costumes, and the gymnastics.  After taking so long to appreciate this art from, I would be sad to see it go.  I would hope for it to remain a large part of the Chinese culture, as well as a historical tradition.
Shirley Mak

This entry was posted in Music, Theater. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Chinese Opera on decline

1. suesun28 says:

I remember seeing Chinese Opera and thinking the same thing. I never really gave it a chance, and it’s hard to when even my parents hate to watch it. However, I never considered the aesthetic and musical part of it. I’ll try to watch with open eyes and ears next time.