SHOWstudio: Combining Fashion and Film

For years, the fashion world was clandestine. The public knew of the latest trends and about the runways that introduced the emerging ideas, but knew nothing regarding the work and details in-between. However, in alliance with the Internet, the secrets are out.

SHOWstudio is a website that combines fashion with film. Highlighting the artistic aspects of the business, the organization aspires to positively change the way we see fashion. Lofty designers and photographers collaborate with writers, filmmakers, and well-known cultural icons. These artists conduct interviews with fellow aesthetic-experimentalists, and broadcast catwalk shows and model shoots live. Their mission? To generate the most vivid and innovated image of fashion through art – moving, still, or verbal.

Artists of any kind – musicians, designers, writers – will certainly find this tool resourceful as a source of inspiration.  There are many videos and portraits available for a global audience to view. One of the site’s recent projects is titled “The Fashion Body,” which glorifies each part of the human body with a distinctive video.

Another development – Eniko – is an interactive film combining fashion, graphics and music.

Before I encountered this website, I always noted the shallow characteristics of fashion before noticing the artistic qualities. My new-found awareness has changed that opinion, and I hope others who have shared a comparable view experience a similar transformation.

A still from "The Fashion Body"

– Alexandra Nicoletti

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to SHOWstudio: Combining Fashion and Film

1. esmaldone says:

I couldn’t seem to make the interactive feature work, but it looks interesting. Fashion is certainly an art form, but the close relationship it holds with commercial clothing production makes it difficult to separate creation from commerce.

2. csbaquiran says:

I am excited with what SHOWstudio has to offer, as the lines between the internet and fashion increasingly become blurred. Your still is from “The Eye” by Lady Gaga.

SHOWstudio: The Fashion Body – Left Eye from SHOWstudio on Vimeo.