Public Art and the Sukkah

This is an awesome article I found about a current architectural challenge going on where New York Magazine readers get to vote for their favorite sukkah (Jewish ritual hut) that will be on display soon at Union Square.

One of the things I find so interesting is the way in which the architects use the sukkah, a religious structure, to expand on larger political themes. The photo on the right is “The Sukkah of the Signs” which is made of the signs held by homeless people and is trying to raise awareness about homelessness as a social issue.

The article contains a slideshow of all the different designs and gives you the option to vote for your favorite, which I think is pretty cool.

The designs themselves are innovative and really challenge the viewer to rethink space and what it means. The Sukkahs will be set up in Union Square on September 19th and 20th and the winning Sukkah will be on view until October 2nd.

One Response to Public Art and the Sukkah

1. esmaldone says:

What an amazingly inventive series of structures. Quite a few of them made me think that “Big Bambu” is secretly a Sukoh project. The most powerful and menaingful example, though, was the one made of signs from the destitute.