Play Me, I’m Yours

This week, I would like to share with you an organization which does an exemplary job of focusing on the power of the arts in our New York City home. This organization, called Sing for Hope, is a not-for-profit organization with a focus in arts education and outreach founded by opera singers Monica Yunus and Camille Zamora.

Over this past summer, Sing for Hope brought the Play Me, I’m Yours project (which originated in England with British artist Luke Jerram) to the streets of New York City. Sixty decorated pianos were placed in public plazas, parks, and on street corners throughout the five boroughs. For two weeks, these pianos were available to be played by any individual who felt so inclined. Upon the culmination of this project, these pianos were donated to local schools, hospitals, and community organizations.

I was privileged to play on a handful of these pianos around the Lincoln Center area early this summer. It is an incredibly moving thing to be able to sit down and play and be met with applause and smiles from strangers passing by. CBS News highlighted this project in an article in early summer, with discussions from the co-founders, and also individuals who are not professionally involved musically, but who were inspired by their ability to participate in this project.

Though this extension of the Play Me, I’m Yours project has been packed away for now, the Sing for Hope foundation continues to leave a huge impact on our New York City arts scene. Volunteer opportunities are available for all sorts of arts outreach programs, including educational outreach, hospital outreach, and community outreach.

Even if you may not be interested in personally volunteering, this organization is definitely one which deserves at a least a little bit of your attention and appreciation.

I leave you with one of my personal favorite videos to come out of this summer’s Play Me, I’m Yours Project, which I really feels exemplifies the sense of community and appreciation this project hoped to inspire. I hope you enjoy!

This entry was posted in Music, Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Play Me, I’m Yours

1. esmaldone says:

This is a very interesting project. Clearly, the arts make a profound impact on regular people, who feel compelled to stop what they are doing and participate as best they can. the woman in the print dress (not the one with the hat) is clearly rhythmically challenged, but she seems to be enjoying her participation nonetheless. As we explore the arts the relationship between artists, the art and the audience is something we should keep in mind.

2. smak100 says:

When I heard about this project, I thought that it was really cool, because you can actually play the pianos! They weren’t like the other art pieces that were placed around the city during summer. I saw one at Coney Island and another at City Hall. They were really cool, because they weren’t just pianos, but they were each painted differently too. Also, I think that that the woman in the print dress is actually clapping on the off beat, which is probably harder to do. She probably felt like going against the crowd.