The World is Your Canvas

I happened to stumble across this video tonight while doing my usual YouTube surfing. Some of my fellow classmates have been discussing graffiti as a form of art, and I found this worth posting as an expansion on the idea.

BLU is an anonymous street artist whom resides and works in Europe. His art is very abstract, much like the graffiti we typically see. Yet, his work is more complex and innovative, combining two-dimensional paintings on walls and streets with nearby three-dimensional objects. The figures and creatures he creates are interesting visually, and how he animates them is fascinating conceptually. When you think about it, it’s astounding that one man painted each image by hand repeatedly to create a video over seven minutes long. Even if you don’t enjoy the artwork itself, it’s easy to acknowledge the time and patience dedicated to the creation and to appreciate the final product.

The video “MUTO” is posted below. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The World is Your Canvas

1. tfanizzi says:

This is insane! In my english class, we were talking about graffiti and whether we find it acceptable or not. I think a lot of graffiti is done to make a point, but I wonder what the point of this person’s graffiti is! It is extremely interesting and creative, but does it seek to serve an ulterior purpose than just that? In English, I brought up the point that graffiti artists deserve the right to express themselves just as any other person does. Maybe BLU is just simply expressing himself through this graffiti!

2. esmaldone says:

Amazing! Endlessly inventive. I love the way there were a couple of places were random people walked by on the street. Also, the sound was quite effective and I enjoyed the way the “real” elements interacted with the graffiti. This was an amazing example of surreal animation.

3. egailing9 says:

I must agree completely with Professor Smaldone and ToniAnn. This really took my by surprise. I was expecting to see someone walking through the street just videotaping graffiti on the walls of the city. This is truly amazing how the artist managed to create a moving display of his graffiti. What I find even more interesting is that I consider it more than one art form (in a strange way). Since it is constantly changing, it reminds me of a motion picture while at the same time is fine visual art.